Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khilker Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:26 PM
    US Citizen married to FI OPT with MISC1099.
    Greetings, I am hoping to get the attention of AtlantaTaxExpert! :)

A little background...
    Last May my girlfriend (P.R.Chinese citizen) graduated from college and started her OPT as of June '07. From Aug - Dec she eared $2700 which was reported on a MISC-1099. We were also married in December '07.

Now...
    I am looking for a little validation here: I need to file my taxes as "married filing separately)" and submit a 1040NR-ez (married) with a schedule C for my wife. Is that correct? Do I need anything else like an 8843?

Thank you for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
    1. You can file as Married Filing Jointly. In that case your she will pay SE taxes on her 1099-MISC income. For SE taxes she files schedule SE.

2. Other choice: You file as Married Filing Separately and she files nonresident tax return. She will not pay SE taxes. She will also file 8843.

Feb 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Thank you for your help! When counting her excluded days from the substantial presence test, does her OPT time count as "student" time?
    Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 03:24 PM
    The exemption is for 5 tax years.

Feb 16, 2008, 03:35 PM
    One other question... I had originally done the tax refund math as married filing jointly, but now I know better. Once I changed TurboTax to "filing separately" my tax refund was cut in half! Is that correct??

What immigration status change is necessary for us to start filing jointly for next year?

Feb 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
    As a fallow up... can I claim her as a dependent to help bump up that refund?

Feb 17, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Is there any third choice in which we can file jointly? By filing separately, my wife's entire income is canceled out by the loss of the tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    1. You can file as Married Filing Jointly. In that case your she will pay SE taxes on her 1099-MISC income. For SE taxes she files schedule SE.

2. Other choice: You file as Married Filing Separately and she files nonresident tax return. She will not pay SE taxes. She will also file 8843.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Nope. MukatA has covered all the options rather well, which is the NORM for him.

Mar 1, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Thanks to both of you for your help. I just found the below IRS link and I think I am going to try filing jointly using their instructions. If this gets approved, the math works out much better for us!

Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 12:33 AM
    Complete Form 1040 as Married Filing Jointly. With the return attach a statement that as a First Year Choice we make this chice to file as residents. The statement must be signed by both of you and should have SSNs (or ITIN).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to US citizen [ 3 Answers ]

I have unusual case. Currently I am: 1. Under deportation proceeding 2. Married to US citizen 3. Have an approved I-130 4. Have sent an I-485 change of status along with I-765 (work permit) 5. Have done fingerprinting for work permit. 6. Have filed for termination of deportation...

US Citizen getting married to Colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step by...

L-1 Visa Married to US Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse entered the US 10/24/05 as a L-1 Visa holder (filed 1040NR for 2005) and having remained in the US since then, we were married 11/1/06. I am a US born citizen with a dependent child - my spouse has no income outside of the US at this time. Can we file our taxes on form 1040 Married...

Married to an US citizen - How do I become a citizen myself [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I married a US citizen, and I want to become a US citizen myself. We both don't live in the US at the moment and are not planning on living there either. Is that possible? What do I have to do and where can I find information about this? Thanks so much! Kiesel

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

View more questions Search