Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Car trouble.again!
    I have a 98' plymoth breeze, 4 cyl, 2.4L and here's the problem:

While ideling, the rpm would rev up past 1, go down, rev up, and go down again. It sounds like someone is pushing on the gas pedel when in actuality no one is. This morning, I was between changing from reverse to drive and then it stalled! Thankfully it started up again.

Also, when I am driving on the highway, it would backfire almost, like the transmission was shot. Any suggestions? Could it be the spark plugs? The timing belt is new so it isn't that.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
    I am not familiar with your engine... but on my car this would be one of two things:
    a) a dirty Mass Air flow (MAF) meter
    b) a dirty idle control valve (ICV)

Both can be cleaned and lubricated relatively easily (if your car has them).

You haven't given enough information the backfiring. If it is true backfiring (unburnt gas explodes in the exhaust), then it will not be related to your transmission.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Items to check:

. Check for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes--AutoZone will do this for free.
    . Check for spark at each plug.
    . Install new spark plugs--exact brand and plug number that originally came with the car.
    . Test/change ignition coil--AutoZone should be able to do this for free.
    . Replace spark plug wires.
    . Ensure all spark plug wires are seated properly on coil and plugs.
    . Clean/replace Idle Control Valve.
    . Install new fuel filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1988 hyundai pony with a problem... Every now and then I'll be driving along when suddenly it will start to "choke" and stall - as if it's got something in it's throat. It sounds and feels like one of the jets in the carb is blocking up as it only "chokes" on lower revs. If I leave...

Car trouble [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks,ihave a nissan primera that just will not start ihave tried just about everything ,it will not start .its a 1.6 petrol engine carbareta. Problum is not timeing belt or battary. Anyone got any ideas. .

Car trouble [ 5 Answers ]

I have an 89 oldmobile cutlass siarre 4 door my problem is that my car keeps cutting off on me while I am driving it does not have 100,000 miles yet it under that. This problem just started and it has gotten worst I went to the mechanic and change the oil filter, and the oil pump still nothing now...

View more questions Search