Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trying2getitdone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Contractor guidelines for replacing rotted wood
    We are trying to find contractor standards that would be used when replacing exterior rotted wood. We have an old victorian home that has rotten wood that needs to be replaced. We understand that signing a contract before the wood is replaced will be necessary but we would like to find standards that will guide us when signing the contract so that we can discuss the process should a significant and negative aspect be "hiding" behind the rotted wood.
    We appreciate your ideas.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I'd asy contractors don't have standards but they do follow building codes. You tell the contractor what you want replaced and he does just that, building code does not force or require rotted wood to be replaced. Call 3 contractors and ask for estimates based on the same written list of what you want done, take the middle bid.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
    It may be best to work out an hourly rate on this particular job. I don't know how much rott were talking but if it is just fascia boards and other minor replacements this is not a big deal. However if your looking at possible floor joist, or exterior band rott, extensive hand rail or porch rott then it may be in your favor to go with an hourly rate. My personal rate is $75 to $85 an hour. This will vary widly from state to state and from one contractor to another. If its over that your probably getting gouged.

So to sum this up, get a contract price for what you can see. Then an hourly rate plus materials for what you cant.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Agree with glavine. Ensure your contract deals with the eventuality of having to do more work... because rot is always worse than it first appears.

Just as a data point, we do our own contracting for our own houses. We pay labourers $15 to $20/hr. apprentices are $30 and journeymen carpenters are $40/hr. These do not have the contractor's 'premium' built in, and also I suspect glavine is more of a master than a journeymen... but is Canada really cheaper than the US?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Replacing rotten wood floor foundation [ 16 Answers ]

We have an old cabin which we need to repair. Under existing bylaws we would not be able to replace this cabin in its existing waterfront location so repair is the only option. Originally the cabin sat 1 foot above ground on cement pads. Over the years the cabin sunk into the ground which has...

Clarification on the rotted wood [ 3 Answers ]

It's not the mudsill that is rotted, it's the rim joist and sole plate and two king studs around an exterior door. Now here's the odd thing, the mudsill is behind the rim joist. The rim joist is sitting on the brick foundation. I've pulled up three pieces of my deck to look at this from the...

Rotted wood [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and I started to replace the rotted siding on my house and discovered that to my dismay about a twelve foot area of the floor sill is badly damaged by water and a couple of the studs need to be replaced as well. It also seems that the buillders neglected to put any wood sheathing in...

Rotted Subfloor and Tough Flange [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Recently I bought a new townhome built in late 60's. The old subfloor (both layers) was bad and I have the subfloor cut completely out but now I am stuck in that I cannot remove the flange from the pipe, I know the pipe is copper and I believe it is 3". The reason I need to remove the flange...

View more questions Search