Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Why is W so unpopular?
    Especially within the ranks of conservatives?

"'A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money." Not only is this famous Everett Dirksen quote probably apocryphal. Dirksen's own Republican Party has made it irrelevant. In the era of compassionate conservatism, a billion here and there is just a rounding error.

'Last week, President Bush proposed the first $3 trillion federal budget. This is just five years after he introduced the first $2 trillion budget. To put such dizzying numbers in perspective, consider that it took nearly two hundred years for the federal budget to pass the $1 trillion mark. Alas, that was under Ronald Reagan in 1987. Even Homer nods.

'So what do the headlines say? Stop this outrageous expenditure? Clean up the Exxon Valdez sized spill of red ink? Call off the Grand Old Spending Party?

'Not a chance. The Associated Press blares, "Bush's budget would cut over $2.9B from NJ hospitals." Colorado hospitals would be hurt too, says the Denver Business Journal. The New Brunswick Home News Tribune editorializes, "No time for feds to cut transportation aid."

'California's Press Enterprise reports, "Bush proposal cuts national forest fire prevention budget." Maryland's Frederick News Post highlights, "Proposed cuts would hit Goodwill.'"

See more: The American Spectator

W has led the party of Reagan into the Wilderness of Big Government, as he lives within the contradiction of tax cuts and bigger budgets. The Clintons may cause a schism within the historic FDR coalition, and W may split off tax and spend Republicans, and bring about a new alignment of freedom loving, small government democrats. The times, they are historic.
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Feb 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Because he is an idiot! Have you ever heard the guy talk? He started a damn war on the premise of WMD and terrorism supporting; neither have been proven. Did I mention that he's an idiot?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
    He got hid information about the WMD for the Clinton administration if you will remember.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
    After seven years of gloom and doom in the press, and his share of screw-ups, he is down. But guess who is lower?
    President Bush Job Approval
    RCP Average
    Approve 32.8% Disapprove 62.6% Spread -29.8%

Congressional Job Approval
    RCP Average
    Approve 24.0% Disapprove 68.3% Spread -44.3%
    From Real Clear Politics
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Feb 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
    I agree that congress is messed up too! I think dub-ya's policy is to make his friends rich(see oil prices).
    belsammael Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Too many mistakes and ill decisions tend to make a man unpopular... -as mentioned there are the WMD's which still have not been found, nor any solid proof concerning them.

In addition, warfare is an expensive thing, and waging two wars and expecting the rest of the world to blindly follow into a war others started, isn't something to be taken lightly; I think we all remember the dazzling heights of the funds he asked to fund said wars.. Funds which could've been used to strengthen the land itself, perhaps help prevent the financial crsis looming over the horizon?

Not to mention in the least that he doesn't make a strong impression as a leader on speeches and in debates.

But I suppose a few good promises and a bit of slander make people forget these things easily... I hope they do not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search