Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craigt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 12:19 AM
    I am out of ideas for this
    A manager at a convenience store and gas station tabulates the following facts
    45% of all customers purchase gas
    31% of all customers purchase cigarettes
    60% of all customers buy either gas or a slurpee
    16% of all customers buy both gas and cigarettes
    13% of all customers buy both gas and a slurpee
    8% of all customers buy both cigarettes and a slurpee
    5% of all customers buy all three

A) what is the probability that a customer buys either gasoline or cigarettes
    B)what is the probability that a customer buys a slurpee?
    C)Is the purchase of any of the three items independent of the purchase of any others?
    Explain.

I have tried absolutely everything I can think of to try and answer this question, I have tried going through my notes, I have read and re-read the section of my text book but can not figure this problem out.
    I tried to create a Venn diagram to simplify the problem but came up with having one piece of data left over which was the 60% I could not figure out where to put it.
    For the first question I originally figured it would be as easy as entering the data of 45% + 31% = 76%
    But then realized that there was more data then that to put in to figure out the solution.

I am seriously at my end with this question I have been trying to figure out for 5 days now.
    I am not looking for the answer but if someone can give me some sort of advice as to how to get started that would be very much appreciated
    mama na bojana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Hi,

The problem look like complicated one but it is simple
    The idea with Vene diagram is correct and perfect way
    Using:

* for union
    + for intersection
    / for subtract

A.
    5=No(C+G+S)
    8=No(G+S) mean (G+S)/(C+G+S)=3 gas and slurpee but no cigarettes
    Following the same way
    We have people buying only gas or only cigarettes, and these buying gas and cigarettes

45=No(G)
    31=No(C)
    16=No(G+C) mean
    45-16 only gas G/C
    31-16 only cigarettes C/G
    16 both,
    These three sets are without any common element so called DISJUNCTIVE SETs?(I am sorry but I am from different country of origin I am trying to find the proper expressions, and maybe I am wrong? about the name only, the explanation is correct)

and in total [45-16]+[31-16]+16= all possibilities are included, take care we are not talking at all about the people whom are buying slurpee, this is irrelevant, and here you can work with a simplified model of two sets.

Try to solve the rest
    Regards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got any ideas? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a dance song, a pretty recent song I think also... would probably hear it in night clubs a lot and the radio maybe. All I remember from this song is a lot of ''na's'' Such as , na nananana na nananana.. could you please help me out?

Need your ideas [ 7 Answers ]

I'm just wondering what your ideas are of what a normal, healthy relationship is? What are the "rules" when arguing or just dealing with each other? What is absolutely off-limits? Thank you so much for any input you might offer.:)

Any Ideas? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 36 and a half weeks pregnant and dilated to a one is there any safe ways to begin labor? I have heard of castor oil but that can be harmful and I don't want to do anything that could harm the baby.

Need Ideas [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, I am creatively challenged when it comes to projects that my kids have to do for school. My daughter has to make a strand of DNA for a science project. They already did the one that uses candy in class, so we can't do that. Does anyone know of a really cool way to make a strand of DNA?

Any ideas? [ 21 Answers ]

OK guys, so I am just wondering on your opinions. OK, I had my period on the 11ths. Lasted 5-7 days. On sunday(the 28th) I had a small amount of bleeding. (just enough to get on my underwear. Thought I was started my period, and rushed home from church. Surprised me, because I had only had my...

View more questions Search