Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cash21 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2004, 03:57 PM
    Making Files Downloadable... How?
    Ok guys, first off I really appreciate anyone helping me out with my question ;D

1- How do I make files open for the public to download on the internet?

2- Are there any free programs out there where someone can use to browse a file on their computer, select it, than send to me by email?

3- How can I create Email forms on my web page? I have tried this many times using perl, cgi, etc. and can never seem to get it to work.

Any advice, web site tutorials, or any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cash

retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 6, 2004, 09:48 PM
    Re: Making Files Downloadable... How?
    1. Either upload them to a website or start running an http or ftp server daemon on your computer, the first option being easiest. Signing up for an account with a service like geocities or tripod for free is a good way to go unless you want more options and better performance. In that case, there are many web providors out there, you just need to find one.

2. Most mail clients support attachments nowadays, so if they can find the attachment feature when they are composing a message, they shuold be able to browse for a file, attach it to the email, and send it to you.

3. The easiest way is to use the mailto:[email protected]&subject=put value here URL in an anchor tag <a href="mailto...">Mail Me</a>. This shuold open up a message to the address with the seleced subject in the default email program on that computer. You can also use javascript to open the same widow but with filling in the information based on what was entered in the for (usinf thte onSubmit event). I have in the past used PHP to create an email form and send emails to myself based on what is entered into the form fields. PHP.net is a good resource, just look in the command refernece in the manual at mail functions. If you can't seem to grasp it from there try to modify the examples to suite your needs. I'm pretty sure there are form email functions built into perl too, but I have only used perl once or twice so I'm not 100% sure.

If you don't know how to make the forms themselves just make anoter post and I can help with that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making several binary files into single file [ 1 Answers ]

We have software which stores data into multiple binary files. We want to combine all those file into single file without compression so that end user will not be confused with several files but be comfortable with single file. We want to know how to make several files into a single file and how to...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

Making several doc files into a single file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have several word 97 doc files. I wd like to make them all into a single file. Is there an easy way of doing it instead of doing manually inserting each file into current file? 2. Can MP3 files be compressed? Thanks for the reply. Ramdas ?

View more questions Search