Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Appletree2468 Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Laptop freezes on internet
    I just got a new to me R40 Thinkpad 2.4G with 768mb. I purchased it used so the only thing on it is the normal Microsoft XP Pro software package. It has also Internet Explorer 7. Connection is DSL on a new Zoom ADSL X6 modem with a Linksys wireless card

It totally freezes trying to get to some Internet sites while it is fine going to others.

OK sites- google.com, cnn.com, lafitness.com, vanguard.com, stangnet.com

Freeze sites- yahoo.com, ebay.com, verizon.net, bankofamerica.com, nhl.com, imdb.com, avast.com, youtube.com, lavasoft.com, adobe.com

Ctl-alt-del works

Here is what I have done so far:

- Windows firewall off
    -Addons deleted
    -temp internet files deleted
    - deleted a bunch of .sqm files
    - cleaned registry with registry cleaner
    - Ran chkdsk, came back clean
    - Ran defrag, came back not necessary
    - Ran msconfig, looked OK but I am not an expert
    -Ran hosts file, looked OK but not an expert
    - Ran Spybot scan, came back clean

I found Adobe reader but not Flash. When I tried to update Flash, it said that it could not connect to the internet. I think that this is the problem. Flash is not working properly.

How do I get Flash connected and updated?

I have not tried nor do I have any experience with any other browers such as Firefox or Mozilla.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
    -
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I am going to suggest something very simple -- Go to Control Panel and in ADD/REMOVE

Remove IE BROWSER it should allow you select repair -- OK repair -- and restart system

A browser is like a plate -- it holds and displays the information on sites you go to -- oops

Feb 1, 2008, 08:15 PM
    The only option is to "remove" IE7. I don't see a repair button. I don't want to simply remove it as I can't connect to microsoft.com to download it again. I don't have any OS hard disks either. Everything came pre-loaded.

If I hit "remove" , is there a way to re-load it?

It is funny, I am having the same problem on my desktop with XP and IE7 also. It has to be an IE7 issue.

Feb 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Ok, I removed IE7, have IE6 running now. Still have same problem with same web sites

Any ideas?

Feb 4, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Update- It is fixed.

I had an IT geek friend look at it. Apprently there was a problem in the DNS registry. He cleaned it out and now it works grreat.
    al1012 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Lol OK I had the same problem but I just got a new computer and then I found out it was my DSL router
    kabirrashay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 05:05 AM
    I have the exact problem guys, my internet freezes and my laptop is un-responsive, I have to literally remove the battery to switch it off. I also can't connect to my wireless and should I ADD/REMOVE IE? Or have my ADSL router checked?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Internet freezes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using TPG on winXP and whenever I connect to the net, it works fine for the first 5 to 10 minutes. But after that the internet freezes. The computer doesn't freeze but all net applications don't work. If I try any website, it won't load. If I am downloading, it stops. If I have msn on, it...

My laptop doesn't connect to wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a dell inspiron laptop which has wireless capability. The OS is Windows XP Professional with SP 2. It used to connect to internet with the built in Wireless connector some time back . I have a desk top which I use to connect to Timewarner cable connection. It has a wireless router . So, my...

Connecting my laptop to the internet using my desktop connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hello young folks, Here is my problem. I have a desktop computer with WIN ME just got broadban internet. Can I use my new laptop WIN Vista to connect to the internet using my desktop connection? I was told something about a router?

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search