Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Getting a good price for a lawnmower
    When is it a good time of year to get a lawnmower for a real good deal. Some people say in the winter time. As well I am thinking of getting a craftsman lawnmower powered by Honda. Any great suggestions?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Basically I'm a lawnmower killer having successfully killed several so I can tell you the ultimate best time to buy a lawnmower is at the end of the mowing season - late summer or early fall for the best deals.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Basically I'm a lawnmower killer having successfully killed several so I can tell you the ultimate best time to buy a lawnmower is at the end of the mowing season - late summer or early fall for the best deals.
    Sounds reasonable but what about the lawnmower I am asking about. Does a craftsman powered by Honda a good machine? It's going to cost me $349.99 plus tax. Any feedback on this type of machine?
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Am not familiar with that particular model. Would suggest you search the web for reviews on this machine for reliability and servicability or if not contact customer service at Sears regarding this particular machine. It all boils down to what do your want the machine to do for you. This way you get the right machine for your needs versus get something that is too much power and you only want to just mow you yard. Take into consideration do you want to push it, have it self propelled or ride it.

My son fixes mowers in the summertime and he says the easiest to fix are the push ones. Self propelled and riders are more complicated and cost more in parts and labor if you have to get them serviced at a shop. (unless it is still under warranty). My son says that as a rule craftsman parts seem to cost more.

Lawn mower fix it books are hard to come by, but not impossible.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I can make a lawn mower last forever. The one I'm using almost all the time and is self-propelled is a Toro/MTD. It's 13 years old and was given to me by a neighbor. It had a bent blade.

My backup lawn mowers and snowblower are at least 30 years old.

Minimum maintenance would include:
    0. Check oil at every use.
    1. Oil change at begin of season (end of season would be better).
    2. Sharpen blade and re-balance (begin of season)
    3. New air filer (begin of season)
    4. New plug (begin of season)
    5. Drain tank, let gas stall mower on last mow.

The self-propelled needs periodic drive wheel replacements. It had it's variable speed drive rebuilt once.

The snowblower got an extensive rebuild this year. Stabil additiveused for the season. Drain gas in summer.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 03:40 PM
    I got my last mower at Habitat for $30. It's a late model MTD with a Briggs & Stratton motor. He referb'd it and gave it a set of b@lls and now it runs better than new.

I have a bad habit of decapitating my cast iron hose guides and killing lawnmowers. I killed 3 in two weeks with no problem. My son's friend asked him if I was drunk when I did it. No, he said, she got drunk after she killed the mower.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
    My father taught me not to run a lawn mower without oil. I had to rebuild one when I was probably 12 years old or so. You learn quick.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Ah ha, so many folks will purchase a new unit from a retail giant. Carry it home, crank it up and not read the owner's/ operator's manual. Especially the part that says to add the oil. Then they ruin the new engine, or at least temporarily lock it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good price on the Wii in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, This isn't really a question.. well at the bottom it is. If anyone is looking to get a Wii for this Christmas in Canada, Dell has a good special right now: Home & Home Office: Wii Console Bundle with Wii Play and Metroid Prime 3 The Wii, 2 controllers and 3 games (Wii...

Good roof shingle price per square? [ 16 Answers ]

It's been awhile since I called around. I'm in central Ohio and am told a good price for 25 year 3-tab is $37 per square (material only). Does that sound good or should I keep calling. (I would not be buying in bulk... probably buying 14-20 squares at a time once every other month or so.) ...

Good vinyl siding price per square? [ 5 Answers ]

It's been awhile since I've called around. I'm told that a good price for a decent grade (for back sides of apartments) vinyl siding is $46 per square. (I'm in central Ohio, and not buying bulk... probably buying 12 squares at a time once every other month or so) Does that sound about...

I need a good and low price heath insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I need a good and low price heath insurance

Where can I buy a good clarinet at affordable price [ 3 Answers ]

Happy Holidays! My 5th grader daughter newly started clarinet in her school. As she shows great interest in it, I'm thinking of buying her one, instead of renting. Problem is, it's too expensive for us to afford it. Is there anywhere or any way I can buy a good clarinet at as low price as...

View more questions Search