Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nothingmore21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Horse Questions!
    My boyfriends cousin owns 5 horses, in which one is on its way in spring. They are giving the colt to me for free, which would is my first horse. She said that training horses are easy and willing to help. However, in order for them to give me the horse is that I need a place to board. The horse is a mix breed. But not sure what types of breeds. I used to work as a volunteer at a stable for 5 years, but that was years ago. So basically I don't remember much about horses than I used too. She also said that the best time getting a horse is when its very young, plus she said that its expensive to buy a horse when their older. Is it expensive to keep a horse? Can you guys give me some advice! Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Yes, it's expensive to keep a horse. Foals grow up. They eat a lot, need space to run (shouldn't be cooped up in a stable 24/7), like to be with other horses, need tack if you plan to ride, need regular vet care, need shoeing and foot care, and so on.

Here's a site that charts a horse's needs and estimated costs (from 2004):

Lorien Stable - Costs of Owning a Horse

Here's a more current (2007) expense list:

HorseNet Horse Rescue
    nothingmore21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingmore21
    My boyfriends cousin owns 5 horses, in which one is on its way in spring. They are giving the colt to me for free, which would is my first horse. She said that training horses are easy and willing to help. However, in order for them to give me the horse is that i need a place to board. The horse is a mix breed. but not sure what types of breeds. I used to work as a volunteer at a stable for 5 years, but that was years ago. so basically i don't remember much about horses than i used too. She also said that the best time getting a horse is when its very young, plus she said that its expensive to buy a horse when their older. Is it expensive to keep a horse?? Can you guys give me some advice!! Thanks!!
    Yeah thanks for your help. I really do want this foal, but I don't want to be struggling with money. Hopefully, its with in my expense.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Talk with other horse owners and even with your friend to find out what they spend per year and also per month. You certainly don't want to cheat the horse out of food or medical care because you can't afford it. And like children, horses too get diseases or need surgery or expensive treatments for something.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingmore21
    Yeah thanks for your help. I really do want this foal, but i dont want to be struggling with money. Hopefully, its with in my expense.
    Responsible horse ownership demands a significant investment of time as well as money. A horse not trained, exercised and handled regularly (more than once a week) often becomes spoiled and even dangerous to be around. Please don't take on responsibilities you can't fulfill.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 12:01 AM
    They aren't necessarily more expensive as adults. I got one cheaply once. He had been kept alone in a corral of about 40 square feet without a shelter for several years. The owners couldn't afford to feed him all the time. Vet care didn't happen. He was skin and bones and had rubbed off both his mane and tail on the fencing.

The guy who sold him to me had rescued him and warned me that he didn't look good. I walked up to this bony horse and just looked at him. He took step towards me and hooked his nose over my shoulder. He said Hm-h-h-hh-h. He was the best horse I ever had.

Do your homeworK! Find out all you can about the cost of boarding, feeding, shoeing and routine vet care. I'm sure it will be a loveable foal. You don't want to put its life in jeopardy because of money.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Remind me not to talk to someone in the same room while I'm posting on AMHD...

The rescue group is HARPS in Northern Illinois. Thanks for being a rescuer, simoneaugie!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 12:05 AM
    Here's a link to their site:

HARPS Online
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 5, 2008, 10:19 AM
    They always say that buying the horse is the cheapest part!

You need to think about if you really want a foal. The thought of having a baby horse is exciting and of course they're cute. But you have to remember that you won't be able to ride this horse for a few years. YOu have to decide if you can wait that long. FOr a first time horse owner, a foal could get boring after a short time.

I know when I was younger, I wanted a foal too. I thought it would be so much fun to raise a horse as my own from a baby. I ended up with a 4 year old Arabian and the place I kept him had many other horses so there were many foals over the years. And while they were cute and fun at first, they lost their novelty after awhile.

This is a big decision! Good luck to you and whatever you decide!
    horse101 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Yes, it is expensive to own a horse. It also takes a LOT of time! If you do board at a stable make sure that they take good care of their horses and feed them properly. Also, don't forget to visit your horse often and ride it. In order to start doing ANYTHING with your horse you need to gain its trust first. You can do this by spending time with it like grooming it, patting it etc. Once the horse trusts you, you can start training it. I do agree that buying young horses is better than buying older ones. That way you can train it the way you want to ride and it won't have any bad habits from previous riders. If you want more information visit my profile (horse101) and I can give you my e-mail address.
    snoopy01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a 'free horse'. Figure on at least $200/month to take care of your horse and maybe two or three times that (especially if someone else boards your horse, rather than you doing it yourself). If this seems high to you, check out http://wowhorses.com/cost-of-a-horse.html

How old is the horse? Most horses need about 3 years before they are ready to ride. Getting on a horse which is too young can permanently damage it's back and other parts. If the foal is a new-born, you may have to pay 3 years of stabling (plus medical, ferrier and other costs). If you are using a professional stable, this could over the 3 years run you $10,000 (see the reference in previous paragraph). If you want the fun of seeing a foal mature, fair enough. However, if your objective is to ride, you can likely buy a mature and trained horse for less than than, which you can start riding immediately.

Don't get too excited by the idea of getting a 'free horse'. The cost of a horse is keeping it, plus the associated costs (e.g. medical, training, saddle and tack, etc.). For the average horse, purchase price is relatively small. So, forget about the idea that it is free. Think of it as a very expensive business (e.g. minimum $2000/year for many years). Then think about what you want (e.g. a foal, a riding horse, etc.). Given the size of your investment, make sure that what you are getting is exactly what you want, or it isn't a good investment of your money and time.
    sercet star Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 10:33 AM

Yes it expensive but it doesn't matter about the cost it would enjoy doing it or not if you get foal you need to train it or the foal is going to messed up! Buying the horse is cheapest part paying everything else is difficult you got pay food vet bills and all rest! BUT goodluck whatever you do
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 19, 2009, 07:26 PM

I was a stable hand at a boarding place for horses. The saddest part of the day was when the horses would look for their owners who never showed up. I would work for 10 to 12 hours in the barns. Most of the horses knew me better than their own owners. I would make me so angry to see these beautiful smart animals just stand in the stall day after day. Mostly because the owners would leave instructions that they be the only ones to exercise the horse, then the horse would only come out when the stall was being cleaned or once a week. If you are going to take on this responsibility PLEASE see your life long friend more than once a week. I no longer work at the horse place because I couldn't take how people wanted a horse for a status symbol.
    energyze Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

Hi,
    She said that training horses are easy and willing to help
    Horses are not easy to train, especially if you are inexperienced. They take commitment, time and money. To someone who is'nt experienced, a foal is the worse type of horse to get. You really need to know what you are doing and commit yourself to spending large amounts of time, EVERY day, come rain or shine, to train and care for it. Horses are like a bottomless pit when it comes to money and unless you are truly committed, I would urge you to think twice.
    Yes, foals are very cute, but what would you do when it satrts getting bolshy and hot headed. Be honest with yourself, how much do you know. It is a horses life you could ruin as it will not forget its early lessons.
    If you are serious about wanting a horse, then I would suggest that you spend as much time as possible around them. Help out with friends, or work volountarily in a stable. Read as much as you can. Begin riding again.
    The best sort of horse for someone like yourself would be a schoolmaster horse, who will forgiive you your incompetence and will help you learn and who has had all the groundwork done already.. Not, a foal who will be relying on you for proper training, commitment and care.
    Unless you have loads of money and can pay for someone to give you professional help to give this foal the best start in life, then I would seriously forget it.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, I'm sure you are acting with the best of intentions, but it is a HUGE thing to take on board. Seriously, think very long and hard about this.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 06:22 PM

She's had 2 years to think about it ;)
    Thread is from 2007
    energyze Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2009, 02:17 AM

Oh yes!! Oops!
    Thanks for that, I will make sure I read the date before I put my energy into writing back!
    Get a bit carried away when its to do with horses!
    X
    am3201993 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 12:21 PM

I have my first horse also so I get books on how to do stuff with them and so far it is working like I have a called how to think like a horse which helps you more on what to look for and tells you the stages that the horse may go through and ask another owner like your boyfriend's cousin to help you with later things like breaking it to ride but when I got my horse he was broken to ride but I got him for $100.00 him and the shots and the dental treatment was only $200.00 so I think you'll do fine.

Jan 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
    He is only 8 years old now he was 7 when I got him

Jan 27, 2010, 12:38 PM

And when the horse gets older the need for a paddock mate is a need for him or her, my horse is lonely so I am getting a horse so he will quit kicking at every one. So remember your horse needs a friend too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girl wants a horse! [ 7 Answers ]

OMG I LOVE horses but my mom won't let me have one but say if I do it would be at my friend s farm and my moms OK with that but will it get enough exercise I will only be able to go out there on sundays and my friend will ride it too... and pluse I can't find any cheap horses around where I live!

Starving horse [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure what to do. You see near where my friend lives there is a horse in a field. The field isn't very big, the horses ribs are showing a bit, when it comes near it has something on its nose (not sure what it is) also:confused: its all on it own and it had a bath which did have water...

Fighting Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I ride at a horse center where each week I ride a different horse. I once rode a gelding who would constantly fight for a longer rein, especially when I would try to halt him. If I gave him a longer rein, he would take advantage of that and try to take off. What do I do?

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Horse sense [ 2 Answers ]

Pull Buddy An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse, named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy...

View more questions Search