Garage/space heater wiring
    I want to run wire from my breaker box to my storage shed,
    For a space heater

# Input: 240/208 V
    # 16.7 / 14.4 Amps
    # Watts: 4000 / 3000
    # BTU: 13650 / 10238
    # Plug Type: 20 Amp

Which type wire do I need, 10/3 or 10/2?, can I use 12 awg ?

Do I need to shuffle the breakers in order for the newly installed
    20 amp breaker to be closest to the switch on the hot bus ?
    Or can I just ad it down at the bottom ? Like you would with a 15 amp breaker ?
    Thanks.
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Cutlass1970,

You are missing some key information. How many feet away is this heater? Are you adding a subpanel in the shed? If not, how are you planning to turn the heater on and off? Will the wire be ran outside or is the shed attached? If not attached to the house, will the wire need to be ran underground? Do you have experience wiring a 220V circuit? Will this circuit be used for anything other then heating?

Sorry for all the questions, but really can't answer yours without the added input.

Regards,

Eric D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Truss Roof over garage into 'Stick' to use space [ 3 Answers ]

I have a garage with a truss roof (pre-built trusses) and I want to use the space by converting the trusses into 'stick' built. Is this possible? Where could I get info on supporting the roof with Headers to enlarge the space?

Garage heater vent [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a 45000 BTU space heater in my garage. This has a power exhaust. I am going horizontal with this about 3' to wall through wall then 1' past with cover outside. Do I have to use b-vent or can I use signal wall and a thimble through the drywall board and vinyl siding. I will have...

Garage Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling mounted heater, 5000 watt, 220 volt with a heater mounted thermostat. I am interested in changing to a wall mounted 24 volt programmable thermostat. How do I accomplish this?

View more questions Search