Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 08:07 AM
    IP connection on 2nd computer
    Hi anybody,
    Missmarple here. I need help. Two computers in my home. This computer is working fine but the laptop will not come on. It says IP connection. I'm on Broadband How would I check my own computer (this one) to see what my IP is?
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:57 AM
    If you are using Windows 2000, XP, etc, then do this:

Go to START
    Go to RUN
    Type in COMMAND
    Type in IPCONFIG

That will give you the IP address for your connection and computer.

As a matter of curiosity, what are you using to connect both computers to the single broadband connection? Hardwired to router? Wireless? Other?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Are you using a router? What kind?

Jan 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
    The & ScotGem Thanks. What I did was, from other comments raised in this site I turned the lot off compl;etely & restarted them. It worked. ScottGem, I don't know what router means. I only know I have broadband and its wireless. Typical woman I guess!! Tj3 it's windows XP2003
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
    I'm glad that the problem is solved!

Jan 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
    A router is a device that connects to a broadband modem to share the Internet among devices on a Local Area Network (LAN). What you are calling wireless is a wireless router. It may connected to your broadband modem or the modem might be integrated into it. Also integrated in is probably a 4 port switch to connect wired devices.

Jan 6, 2008, 04:27 PM
    ScottGem, now that is a little too technical for me. I am a master in Microsoft office word, excel, access, p.p but when it comes to modems and the likes I loose my marabels, hence the name MissMarple! Thanks anyway for that valuable information. Good night from Ireland!

Jan 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Its really not that hard to understand. The modem is a device that connects you to the Internet through your carrier (cable company or DSL). The router is a device that allows you to share the Internet signal across your LAN. You don't need to understand exactly how it works, just what it does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer connection [ 2 Answers ]

Can I run my computer and my telephone through the same phone line using a line splitter?

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

Computer connection via phone line with dial-up host [ 2 Answers ]

I need to connect to a computer in a rural area where there is no high speed internet - just phone connections. Purpose is to monitor one or more cameras on the property. Need to set up a computer to computer connection that's initiated when I dial rural computer and have it set up to answer...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search