Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kizzza Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Dec 30, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Windows keeps freezing.
    Okay, basically this happens all the time. When I logon to Windows (I have the Home Edition), I do some ordinary things such as go on the internet, do a little surfing, but after a while the computer just freezes, then after about 1-2 minutes the computer screen goes blank. So I manually turn the computer off and then switch it back on again and when I log back onto Windows. Windows Error Reporting says that there's something wrong with the Grpahics/Video card. I don't know what to do. If any of you have a way of removing this problem then please do post.

Baring in mind that I have downloaded the latest drivers and updates for the Graphics card I have. (I have the nVidea GeForce 8600 GTS)

Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 30, 2007, 06:01 AM
    From this and your other posts, it sounds like you need to do some maintenance.

Time to do some serious maintenance on your machine:

Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    Kizzza Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2007, 06:47 AM
    That doesn't help with the problem though.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Did this just start happening, what was done to PC before this started happening, try to provide as much info as you can that led up to this happening, XP home or Vista Home

Try going into device manager and click plus sign nect to display adapter and click properties, go to driver and choose rollback driver.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 1, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzza
    That doesn't help with the problem though.
    Maintenance on your machine WILL help.
    I suggest your try before discounting it off hand.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Your video card could be going out causing the system to hang
    summoner2100 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 07:19 PM
    I have had this issue when I installed my Geforce 8500GT. To fix it I went into the bios and switched downstream pipeline to Disable.

I have not had an issue since doing this.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
    After nine months, I wonder if they are still having problems? Watch those dates, Summoner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Uninstalling windows xp and reinstalling windows 98 se [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me how to uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98 se... I tried to reinstall windows 98 se from the dos prompt and it's telling me that no fat32 system or fat16 system found plus it's telling me that I need to reinsatll my dos cd-rom drivers manually and partition my...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows Freezing Up [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, After giving up on Linux (I tried all of Sunday to get my Zen Touch working but just gave up in the end), I reinstalled Windows XP. Now if I try running a video or a game, I hit a problem. I tend to have no problem playing a game until it comes to closing it down. On exiting the...

View more questions Search