Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evinx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Hot Water Problem
    House is about 1+ yrs old built on concrete slab. For a guest bedroom on 1st floor, we had to have a separate gas hot water tank placed in an attic above a closet. It feeds 1 full bath (tub/shower + a sink). Sink gets plenty of hot water (quite hot), but tub only gets lukewarm water regardless how long you run the water. It just never gets very hot. These are the only items this hot water heater feeds.Pressure + flow seem fine. Any suggestions as to what may explain this + how to resolve. Thanks.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 20, 2006, 01:48 PM
    I'm not such an expert at this (to say the least), but my first guess would be (esp. if you have a single-handle shower) that the shower valve mechanism has some sort of leak - i.e. when you turn on the hot water only, some water from the cold water supply pipe is also coming out, even though the cold water should be off at the time. Maybe a fauly waser, or whatever? I don't know. Like I said, I'm no expert - wait for Tom or someone to help you...

To test my theory, try shutting off the cold water supply to the shower (or the whole bathroom), and see if the water comes out any hotter. If it does, post back and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    jim dandy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Evinx ; if the shower valve is I single handle style it should have a temp limit stop behind the handle that is adjustable if you turn the cold water off in the house nothing will probably work but with your house being new you must have pressure to both hot and cold for valve to operate the limit stop limits the amont of travel to the hot side of the faucet which in turn gives you more cold than hot if not adjusted properly this is a simple procedure in most cases what type of valve is it I hope this is useful
    Evinx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 12:12 PM
    I did a bit of checking + we have the Kohler Thermo Mixing Valve T-9494)(http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...Shower+Faucets) where you can adjust temperature on this valve.

The shower/tub faucetry is a 5 piece configuration. Tub spout, diveter-volume control, temp control (T-9494) shower diveter-volume control, and shower head on a slide bar. A little too complex for my thinking.
    Anyway, get plenty of cold + some hot water but no way hot enough. Water to lav sink comes in plenty hot + both fed from same (+ only) hot water heater. Any further thoughts most appreciated.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 22, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Did you try my previous suggestion of turning off the valve supplying cold water to the shower/tub (or the whole bathroom, if necessary) but leaving the hot water supply on and then turning on the shower? If you do, and less water comes out, but it is hotter, that would confirm that it's just a matter of adjusting your mixing valve.

This test may not accomplish much, since we seem to have determined that it's the mixing valve anyway, but hey - it's a easy test that takes less than a minute to do, so it can't hurt to confirm it, can it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water problem in shower [ 5 Answers ]

This one has me stumped... Our house is only 3 years old, and so far we've not any plumbing problems. Today I noticed that the shower in our spare washroom (very rarely used) was not working properly. When you turn on the cold water its OK, but as you turn the knob to the hot the water pressure...

Problem with water damage [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter and roommate are students at KCAI. They leased a 2 bedroom apartment in July 2005. The property has a one bedroom unit underneath which is/was gutted and being renovated. They had completed putting blown installation in the ceiling and were dry walling the unit. My daughter’s apartment...

Problem with hot water line? [ 6 Answers ]

In our house we have been having a problem with the water "spitting" out the faucet... when turned on... but just with the hot water... no matter which sink or shower we use,. after the hot water has been on for a few seconds... it has that hesitation to it... the water doesn't quit and then start...

Hot water problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hey Everyone! After fitting some new taps in the bathroom yesterday, I find today that the shower is no longer working and That the hot water only lasts for a few minutes and then There is no hot water coming out at all (its the same In all the taps downstairs and up). The cold water ...

Problem with hot water in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have Pegasus Tub & Shower Faucet, series 1000, SKU# 813-921 (bought in Home Depot about 2 years ago). Recently the hot water stops running from the shower. The hot water in sink runs good, but not in shower. Cold water is running fine. I shut the water, and removed valve. Water is dripping from...

View more questions Search