Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkmsupply Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 10:36 AM
    What date do I use for converting an invoice from Euro to USD?
    What date do I use for converting an invoice from Euro to USD?

We order regularly with companies in Europe, often in the $100K+ range per order. With the Euro going up so much between the date we quoted our customers and sent a purchase order (Aug 1) and the date we received the goods (Nov 15), our profit is almost wiped out.

Example: We place an order at EU€100,000 on August 1, quoting our customer based on a cost of USD$136,800. The vendor ships the goods on Oct. 1, when the order is now costing us USD$142,300. We receive the goods on Nov 15 with the invoice for EU€100,000, but now our cost is USD$146,400. (We pay in USD$)

What is the generally accepted date to use for determining the conversion from Euros to USD$?

Options:
    • Date order was placed with supplier?
    • Date order was confirmed by supplier?
    • Date order shipped by supplier?
    • Date order received by us?
    • Date on the invoice we received?

Thanks for your help.
    student 101 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmsupply
    We order regularly with companies in Europe, often in the $100K+ range per order. With the Euro going up so much between the date we quoted our customers and sent a purchase order (Aug 1) and the date we received the goods (Nov 15), our profit is almost wiped out.

My question is what is the generally accepted date to use for determining the conversion from Euros to USD$?

Options:
    • Date order was placed with supplier?
    • Date order was confirmed by supplier?
    • Date order shipped by supplier?
    • Date order received by us?
    • Date on the invoice we received?

Thanks for your help.
    The date the costumer order and agree to pay an amount for the products or services you provide
    gkmsupply Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I appreciate the response, Student 101, but I'm not sure that gets at the heart of my question. I need to be able to convince the vendor I'm buying from that I should pay them in USD based on the Euro exchange rate at the time I placed my order with them.

Since they bill me in Euros, but I pay in USD, I need some back-up to show why I am paying them USD$136,000 vs. USD$146,000 as their invoice would require.
    Hermansherman Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Nov 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmsupply
    I appreciate the response, Student 101, but I'm not sure that gets at the heart of my question. I need to be able to convince the vendor I'm buying from that I should pay them in USD based on the Euro exchange rate at the time I placed my order with them.

Since they bill me in Euros, but I pay in USD, I need some back-up to show why I am paying them USD$136,000 vs. USD$146,000 as their invoice would require.

I'll jump in here with my thoughts.
    No vendor that bills in Euros is going to buy your argument, and if you send them $136,000 they will probably reinvoice you some difference.
    They want to be paid in Euros and frankly, don't care what the FX rates have done.
    You basically have three choices, 1. find an American supplier or a supplier who will bill in USD, 2. pay the vendor his Euros and in the future, make sure that you charge enough to cover the additional costs that the Euro might cost you, or 3. buy Euros in advance on the date that you put your order in.

Regards, herman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ASCII code for euro sign [ 6 Answers ]

What is the ascii for euro sign

Ascii code for the euro symbol [ 4 Answers ]

When using Microsoft Word, I can write € by pressing ALT and holding it down while I enter 0128 on the numeric pad on the right side of the keyboard. When I try this while writing an AOL e-mail, I don't get €, but some other character. How can write € in an email?

Euro Lottery [ 22 Answers ]

Wow apparently I just won a lump sum pay out of 1.000.000.00 Euro.(One Million Euro):D Anyone care for a vacation on me!? LMAO!! Okay, who wants what? I'm buying!! :p

1.000.000 USD silvercoin certificate [ 12 Answers ]

Dear All, I have ONE MILLION face value silvercoin certificate issued 1928 with serial number B25137222 N. Does anybody know the real value of this note and how to sell it ? Here is following note I have as well, and image of both sides of this.

View more questions Search