Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    star2468 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Long distance relationships
    Hi well my (ex) boyfriend broke up with me last week and his reason was that he couldn't handle it. He said that in the evenings when I was at uni he felt down and that he felt depressed from it to the point of crying on occasion. Its not always been long distance, only since I've returned to uni and could only see him a few days a month.
    Obv I was very very upset he chose to do this and still am because we did love each other and got on really well but at the end of the day it proved too much for him. I was angry to start with but not so much now. He is moving soon and things would have only gotten more difficult for us. It's a shame but that's life.

I was just wondering if any others ended a long distance relationship because of the emotional strain or have experienced a similar thing?
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Nov 6, 2007, 04:23 PM
    A little more info please.

Were you together prior to your decision to go to school?

Did you know him prior to that decision?

Thanks much
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 6, 2007, 04:42 PM
    That's too bad that you guys broke up. If you were going to be apart for a long time, like you said, it would have only gotten harder. Try to remember the good times that you guys had. Stay friends if you can. Think of it this way: you shared an important part of your life with him, you have good memories, and you had good times together. Focus on the good parts, even though circumstances prevent you from being together. Stay busy, hang out with friends, keep your mind on other stuff for a while. That way, hopefully, you won't feel so sad. Good luck! :)
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

Nov 6, 2007, 11:56 PM
    I was in a long distance relationship for 3 years, we were half of the world apart and only have several days PER YEAR to meet up. Its over now and I felt great now. It hurt at 1st but over time, its OK.
    linds03 Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 12:30 AM
    I can relate for sure. I dated my ex boyfriend for almost 5 years and broke it off about a month ago because he refused to move with me so I could go to college. We did the long distance thing when I went to school the 1st time about 4 years ago and it was hell. We were a lot younger then, but all we did was fight. I truly believe that some couples are okay being apart "distance makes the heart grow fonder" type thing, but there are some (like us) who just crumble being away. How long did you date for? Where is he moving to? Do you want to try and make it work if he came back to you? It's really hard, I know. And I was the dumper in this situation... I still hold a candle that it may work down the road and hope that things work out the way you want them to. Best of luck honey! Many of us have been in your shoes!
    wonderingirlfriend Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by star2468
    Hi well my (ex) boyfriend broke up with me last week and his reason was that he couldn't handle it. He said that in the evenings when i was at uni he felt down and that he felt depressed from it to the point of crying on occasion. Its not always been long distance, only since ive returned to uni and could only see him a few days a month.
    Obv i was very very upset he chose to do this and still am because we did love eachother and got on really well but at the end of the day it proved too much for him. I was angry to start with but not so much now. He is moving soon and things would have only gotten more difficult for us. Its a shame but thats life.

I was just wondering if any others ended a long distance relationship because of the emotional strain or have experienced a similar thing?
    I had 2 relationships that were long distance I had one that was out of my province and one from a different city both ended really badly and yes it is hard for a long distance relationship plus you don't get to see him or her enough it's best to have a relationship in the same city best thing to do is move on
    star2468 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 04:35 AM
    Oh I know we won't get back together which is fine, under the circumstances its just not possible and he couldn't handle it which I've accepted.
    And yes I've stopped the moping and am trying to have fun. He was the first guy I loved/first girl he loved and that's what has made it harder but I'm getting there :).
    I wouldn't do it again although it was never always long distance. At the end of the day I always knew I was the stronger one and that's OK. He told me he loved me everyday, even when he finished it so its hard to hate him although I'll miss him for a bit. But as I've said I'm going to move on and I'm pretty tough so I'll be OK :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can long distance relationships work? [ 13 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are in a long distance relationship. I'm 14 and he's 16, we've been together for 8 months. We barely ever get to see each other (4 times a year if we're lucky) and find it really hard (but not impossible) to be in this relationship. We love each other very much and our love for...

Long distance relationships [ 9 Answers ]

How long do LDR's usually last? Especially when the two people met in a strip club? He is 36 she is 25 with a kid. Do LDR's usually last long especially when the man is in a dif country doing god knows what with god knows who. Does the man usually move on or does the women usually move on ?

Long distance relationships [ 3 Answers ]

Just out of curiosity, what would you all consider a "long distance relationship"? I mean in physical measurement.

Immaturity and Long Term Relationships [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm just wondering how much age and perceived immaturity have to do with a relationship ending. My ex is 18 when she left. And I know others here whose ex's were young (under 21). Can the lure of the party scene be that strong and do they either never come back or do they start to...

Can Long Distance Relationships Work? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, brief intro, met a great girl on holiday and have have seen each other now three times. We often have some form of contact whether its, text messages, instant messaging online and more rarely by telephone to. We live about 2-3 hours away, traffic dependent! Anyway, we enjoy each others...

View more questions Search