Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Gravitational pull
    If the moon was sitting on the surface of the Earth, what force would be holding the two planets together.. I was told that the distance between is not zero... and to draw a diagram.. Help please
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Oct 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
    If the moon was on the surface of the earth, the force holding them together would be gravitational force, the reason for this would be because the earth pulls us down, and so does the moon.

Here is a diagram:

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bignaked101
    If the moon was on the surface of the earth, the force holding them together would be gravitational force, the reason for this would be because the earth pulls us down, and so does the moon.
    This diagram isn't very clear. Why is all the gravity pointing in the same direction? The moon is pulling the Earth towards it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Hello Miia. Whenever you do any calculations regarding gravity, you measure distances between objects using each object's center of gravity, which for a round object like the earth or moon is at its center. Thus if the moon was sitting on the surface of the earth the distance you use is the sum of the earth's radius plus the moon's radius.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pushing/frictional/gravitational force [ 3 Answers ]

A person pushes a 19.8-kg shopping cart at a constant velocity for a distance of 34.2 m on a flat horizontal surface. She pushes in a direction 24.4 degrees below the horizontal. A 50.4-N frictional force opposes the motion of the cart. (A) : What is the magnitude of the force that the shopper...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

If gravitational field collapses then? [ 2 Answers ]

If the earth's gravitational field collapses for "a few seconds", what worst or best can happen?

View more questions Search