Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princessgloomy Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 08:13 AM
    How to Simp. Rad. Expressions
    I am very confused and would like this explained please:

How to simplify the radical expression of 18?
    IllinoisChip Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 08:52 AM
    When you say "radical expression," do you mean: ?

If so, then what you do is break the number 18 down to its prime factors, as follows:

18 = 2*3*3

From this you can see that the number 3 is squared , so you can take it out of the radical as follows:

Hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Yes that's exactly what I needed. Your explanation of how to do it was much easier then the books- thank you! :D

Oct 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Okay one last math question today:

Which is greater, the geometric mean or the arithmetic mean of 4 and 12. Explain.

What I don't get is the geometric answer comes out as a radical right? So how do compare it to the arithmetic mean?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgloomy
    Which is greater, the geometric mean or the arithmetic mean of 4 and 12. Explain.

What I dont get is the geometric answer comes out as a radical right? So how do compare it to the arithmetic mean?
    The geometric mean does turn out to be a radical - you're correct. But that's OK - there's nothing that says you can't compare an irrational number like against a rational number like 2.2 to see which is greater. I suggest you do the calculation on a calculator and see which is larger. For example, if the numbers were 2 and 10, the arithmetic mean would be 6 and the geometric mean is , so in this case the arithmetic mean would be greater. Now try it with 4 and 12 and see what you get.

Oct 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
    So for the geo. Mean of 4 and 12 I get 6.928

And the arithmetic mean I get 8, so it is the greatest?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Yep - that's right. In fact, I think you'll find that the arithmetic mean is always greater than the geometric mean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Radical Expressions [ 4 Answers ]

sumone help me simplify these? The "^" means to the power of the number that follows it √54x^3y^5 2√12x^4y^5 0.5√8x^4y^3 3√75x^3y^5

Rational Expressions [ 2 Answers ]

This is a Rational Expression Add: 2/x+1 + 1/x-1

Can anyone answer this question about bleeding a Rad ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, Hope this is an easy question that somebody can help me with. I had some rad work done recently and all the rads are hot and working perfectly except one which is still cold. I know it works because it was not worked on and has always worked fine. I've let the air out and it is now...

My sons 91 Civic will not start after replacing rad. [ 7 Answers ]

My son bought a second hand civic. It needed a new rad and thermostsat. My friend and I replaced them and the car ran great... until I had to put it back in the garage and now it will not start. The battery is great, car has gas but still will not start. We didn't do anything but the rad and...

View more questions Search