Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mija20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Can I get married with a 20 year oldor move in with him if I'm only16
    I'm about to be 16 in 3 months and my boyfriend is going to be 21 can we still get married or live together:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Depends on where you live. In some areas 16 is the age of consent. However, you may not legally marry until 18. So your parents would have to approve. So you need to check the laws where you live. A important piece of info you left out.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 07:25 AM
    My cousin got permission to marry at 16. He was divorced before he was 20.
    icecream Posts: 160, Reputation: 6

Oct 9, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    My cousin got permission to marry at 16. He was divorced before he was 20.
    I agree. I'm 25 and just got married. Still I think I'm a little too young at times. But I love her LOL

Hmmm 16 though...
    Dakkota55 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Well your still under age but if your parents give there permission I would try to live with the person before you get married make shure that your ready for the life stile you don't want to rush into anything! After all your still young

Oct 9, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakkota55
    well ur still under age
    We don't know that for sure since we don't know where she is. But otherwise good advice.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 09:25 AM
    This is a case where local laws prevail. In some cases, there needs to be 5 years difference at all times to even be dating. The age of consent varies 16 and 18 are common. Some very unusual like you can marry at 16 if your are pregnant by the person your marrying, but can't otherwise until your 18. Other places may require parental permission.
    CareBearsRule Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mija20
    im bout to be 16 in 3 months and my boyfriend is going to be 21 can we still get married or live together:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:
    You can move (if its okay with your parents)
    You Can't have SEX unless if you want him to go to jail
    I don't think you can get married at the age of 16?

CareBearsRule
    Miss lovley Posts: 125, Reputation: 5

Oct 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
    CareBearsRule
    I couldn't agree anymore
    I beileve you have to be 18 in order to get married

Oct 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Marriage Laws in the US by Age

Check it out
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Oct 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
    When I was 16 years old I was dating a guy a few years older than me. I spent all my time with him, never went out and did anything, never spent time with my girl friends and I missed out a lot on high school. We broke up by the time I was a senior and I had one hell of a senior year =). Don't get married. You've been with this guy 3 months. What does a guy his age want with a 16 y/o? Probably just sex. I don't mean to offend you, but many girls I went to high school that dated a guy much older ended up pregnant. Don't be foolish and think you are going to marry a guy after dating them 3 months. Hes 21, he can drink, go to bars, do pretty much whatever he wants. You're 16, you can't go to a bar, drink, and many other things. How are you going to feel when he gets bored with you and starts going out to a bar? I mean seriously, 16 years old... go have fun and don't worry about getting married until you're older. Don't you want to live life first?

Oct 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
    You do have to be 18 to get married without parental permission (19 or 21 in a few states). But you can get married WITH parental permission as young as 14 in some states. Not that I'm advocating that. Frankly, I have to wonder about a 21 yr old dating a 15 yr old. As is the situation here.
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Oct 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Haha oops.. oh well.. my opinion still stands :P

Oct 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Don't think she's coming back online. Did we scare her? I still think the man she's dating just wants sex, sex, and more SEX!
    alexis_2009_detroit Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Look Your Still Really Young I Think That If U Marry This Dude And Move In Then In The Future Your Gon Be Wondering What If. You Kno Like What If I Didn't Rush Into This. I Honestly Don't Think You Should Do It Because Ur Young So U Probably Think That Hes The One And That U Really Love Him But It Could Just Be Them Hormones Talk Plus U Also Need To Get Someone Closer To Your Age
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    This is a case where local laws prevail. In some cases, there needs to be 5 years difference at all times to even be dating. The age of consent varies 16 and 18 are common. Some very unusual like you can marry at 16 if your are pregnant by the person your marrying, but can't otherwise until your 18. Other places may require parental permission.
    Hey, don't be giving her no ideas kiss(remember the meaning, your screen name is what I am referring to here kiss).
    o.k. WHERE are the "parents" I use that term loosely if they are even aware of the situation, which I can't imagine them not being aware of whom their daughter is dating. Why would they even allow her to be dating someone this much older? She is too young to be thinking of marriage, or as far as I am concerned sex in general. But she is probably glad she is not my daughter. Parents, keep up with who your kids are hanging out with, and where they are hanging out. Stay informed and try your best to guide your child(ren) in the correct direction. And pray for them every day and night, the world is full of temptations, and all you can do is try your best to raise them up right and hope they make the right decisions.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CareBearsRule
    you can move (if its okay with your parents)
    you CAN"T have SEX unless if you want him to go to jail
    i don't think you can get married at the age of 16??

CareBearsRule
    I would think in most cases with her age that the parents would have to award him guardianship and that is just wrong in this case. All that he sees is a young girl to have sex with. And she is blinded by his attentions to her, and is clouding her judgement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Research into why 18-15 year olds want to get married. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and I have come here hopeing that some of you here will be able to help me with my research. I need participants to fill in an online questionnaire who are aged between 18 and 25, and are currently in a relationship that is at least a year long. The link to...

I can not trust my 13 year old - how do we move on? [ 7 Answers ]

Myself and my husband are at a loss with our 13 year old daughter. She is always back answering and cheeky. She seems to have no respect for either of us talking to us like dirt at times. I have always ensured she can talk to me about anything which she often does. However I found out recently...

I've lived with my boyfriend 1 year, how long do I have until I have to move? [ 1 Answers ]

I've lived with my boyfriend in Oregon, for over one year now. We agreed I'd be responsible for buying groceries and some household items, and for house cleaning. He would continue to pay the bills and his mortgage (it is his home). We no longer get along, and I'm looking for a place to move. ...

In love with a married man and I can't seem to move on [ 5 Answers ]

I just need to know how to get over my love for a married man which is now the father of my children? We had a 7 yr relationship but have continued to be friends although life and circumstances caused us to part ways. Well, after 3 yrs of being apart (although stayed in touch) I moved back to the...

Married for one year but mind is elsewhere... [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I have a burning issue in my mind and just have to let some of it out and see what people think. I am 23 and have been married for one year, I met my wife 6 years ago and the tender age of 17 and she is the only woman I have ever been with. However I feel very confused as...

View more questions Search