Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kellief Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Child support
    I am not sure if this is the right category. If not sorry... My question is this. My X-husband is trying to get on Social Security disability because he said that he will not have to pay child support. Is this true? He is currently $8000.00 behind.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
    NO, your ex husband is not right. Child support can come out of a disability check. Since you know his intent, you should report this - it is committing fraud ( on your ex's part ) - trying to deceive Social Security.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
    No I don't think it is that easy. Even if you have no income there are still minimums to be paid. Why is he getting SS. Why does he not want to pay, (other than the obvious). I mean they are not going to give him SS because he dosen't want to pay support. Does he have some problem? Well anyway don't worry about it too much all you can do is all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellief
    I am not sure if this is the right catagory. If not sorry...... My question is this. My X-husband is trying to get on Social Security disability because he said that he will not have to pay child support. Is this true? He is currently $8000.00 behind.
    Kellief Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
    My ex always has a medical reason for not paying child support. He never has a doctors written excuse but is always claiming he can't work. This time there is something wrong with his stomach, his esophogus, and some discs in his back. I am not sure which is keeping him from working this time. Yesterday he had a contempt hearing but admitted himself into the hospital Sunday night with back pain. Now the hearing is rescheduled for May 5th. He said it doesn't matter though because he doesn't have to pay when he gets his disability. He thinks because I am remarried that my husband should take care of the child support.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Your ex is so wrong. Lol. You being remarried now does not give your ex the excuse to not pay child support. He is responsible for child support, until the day comes when your husband would adopt your child. Your ex may even terminate his rights - but that does not terminate his responsibility to pay child support. The judge would see that in a heartbeat and call the deadbeat on it.

Trying to get SSDI is not easy. Keep after this guy and do not let any dust settle on this. He owes the child support and your child deserves that from him. Good luck.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Addendum to the great advice above: you can make sure that SSA has a copy of the support order (provided you have the SSN of your ex) and your children, should he become eligible for benefits, may be able to receive a check under his record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

2 county's want child support for same child [ 1 Answers ]

In California, can two separate counties each make Someone pay for shild support at the same time? That's a double order for the same amount for the same child.

View more questions Search