Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    It does have a lot of loopholes. My friend got let go after she announced her pregnancy, but she worked in the mortgage industry which is slowing down right now, so it was an easy cover. She called the EEOC, but they think her claim is weak because of the nature of her work. I think it helps protect a lot of women, and good companies don't care if you get pregnant. It also gives you 12 weeks off by law (after a year) and a guaranteed job to return to, which is important. I understand it from the employer's POV, because it's impossible to know if you hire someone that they will come back after they give birth. Then you spent that time and money training them for nothing. It's one of those laws that only works if all parties involved are 100% honest, lol, and how much does THAT happen???
    I can understand the employer's viewpoint. When we hire people into the departments that I have worked in, the general consensus is that we want someone who can hit the ground running (because all the departments have been very lean, and by the time we are hiring one new person we really need two), and that they will need at least 6 months to come up to speed. To hire someone, have them work for a month, and then say that they are going to take off for three months, would cause more chaos in the department than not having hired anyone. And then the employer would be stuck, because they only have the funding for the one person, and the law says that you have to guarantee the job, but you need the person for the department NOW...

But on the other hand, I can also see that you don't always have a choice about when you are out job-hunting, and it's not like you can make the pregnancy fit only when convenient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Un-password protect? [ 3 Answers ]

I password protected a Microsoft excel document a few years ago, and now that I need the information I can't remember the password! Is there any way to un-password protect the document without the password? Thanks

Password protect [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to set a password

Protect yourself [ 5 Answers ]

I think we all know we here in the USA live in a sue happy environment. What's the best situation to protect money in your bank account if someone Attempts to sue you? Or better question where it's the safest place to keep a lot of money say 50k? (and under the mattress doesn't count,...

Lying to protect someone [ 7 Answers ]

I know we are not supposed to lie but!! I have an older Aunt with a son in the hospital with Prostate Cancer and in order to prevent her worring she was told he had a mole on his back removed. Is this lie a sin?

Protect against hackers [ 11 Answers ]

Is there a program to protect against hackers so u can't get hacked or is your firewall what protects against that type of stuff?

View more questions Search