Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Jul 11, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Laptop Power
    I've been having a lot of problems with my laptop lately, I kept getting the well known "blue screen of death" as many call it. Finally I decided to format, and re-install windows. I got everything re-installed, started doing the auto updates, and once again... the blue screen, this time, it did it every time I booted up. After trying to re-install 2 more times, I gave up and put Fedora Core 6 on there. I had it on there for about 6 months with no problems. I don't know too much about linux yet, so my laptop was pretty much useless with it on there. Finally the other day, I decided to try windows one last time. I installed it, did all the updates, and it started locking up.
    When the last update finished, I picked up my laptop, set it on my lap, and was going to start installing other software, that's when it started locking up. I turned it off and back on, and it appeared to be fine. After working for a while, it came up saying my battery was low, I glanced over, and realized that the power cord had come unplugged from the back. I plugged it back in, and the laptop froze instantly. Anyway, after a long story :) It is locking up anytime I plug in, or unplug the power.

Anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks for your help!
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Update your drivers and make sure that they compliant with the hardware, Try driver guide >> or do an automatic update!

Jul 11, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Update the drivers for what exactly? The problem is when I either plug in, or unplug my laptop with it on. I have done all the automatic updates on the computer.

Jul 31, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Just thought I'd give an update to this, after formatting again, I discovered I only have problems AFTER installing SP2 for WinXP Home. I found a BIOS update, and decided to give it a shot, and it worked! All of the weird errors I was getting are now gone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Laptop power management [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I am fairly new to PCs. My laptop internal battery (without main connected) lasts for only 30 minutes or less on full charge. Laptop is less than two yrs old, don't know if I need to do some settings to enable the battery work longer after full charge? Can anybody help? Thanks. LinBus

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

View more questions Search