Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deuce Rider Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Potty Training - Little Boy
    My wife and I have a 19 month-old boy (and a little girl due in September). We would like to work on potty training... any suggestions? Should training start by sitting, progressing to standing... or do we try to go straight to the standing approach?

... we are also trying to transition our son out of the nursery and crib, into his "big-boy" room and bed. Any suggestions here, as well? (Sorry, if this should have been two separate posts)

Thanks!
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 26, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Standing approach! My dad bought these stickers that looked like battleships. He told me and my brother to aim for the battleships. I've been relieving myself like a champ ever since :). I'll behave, so I'll be careful here, but you may give him a 'feminine' approach if you make him sit.

XenoSapien
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 04:36 PM
    I don't mean to sound rude, but you start by waiting. You have to wait until he is ready. You will only frustrate yourselves and him by starting him now. He is way too young to understand the feeling of a full bladder and/or bowel.

This usually occurs (especially in boys) around 2 - 3 years of age.

For your other question, is he climbing out of the crib yet? If not, he is fine where he is.

Jul 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    ...but you may give him a 'feminine' approach if you make him sit.

XenoSapien
    That's pretty much what I suggested to my wife, as she had him sit on his little commode, while she sat on hers... but, I wasn't so "politically correct" in my expression!:D

Jul 26, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Bingo to your expression, Deuce Rider! Gently and lovingly tell your lovely wife that having him sit could indirectly have him eventually thinking urination should be done like a female, and eventually give him a complex that could make him believe he is one.

Get the "masculine" battleship stickers, my friend. He's got to know the exact way to do it as a man, and that is the approach imperative to him learning to do so. Anything else can potentially put his thoughts somewhere else; again, I'm trying very hard to behave here.

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    ...He is way too young to understand the feeling of a full bladder and/or bowel. This usually occurs (especially in boys) around 2 - 3 years of age.
    This is pretty much in line with my understanding. However, because he has been showing interest in Daddy's use of the commode, and was excited to see his own stream for the first time the other day... I thought maybe "things might click" at this time.

...is he climbing out of the crib yet? If not, he is fine where he is.
    He is NOT climbing out of the crib yet. Because he has a little sister coming in about 6 to 7 weeks, we were wanting to work on the transition now, rather than have him associate "getting the boot" with the arrival his new sibling... which I feel could lead to a toddler-version of resentment.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
    You really need to stop pushing. He is WAY too young. You will get more resistance than results. I have trained, well um, 30 something in my lifetime. 4 of whom were mine (3 boys and 1 girl) the rest, I was their teacher.

If he is having a hard time let it be, if he is willing well then...

What I did with my boys, albeit the redneck approach but it worked. Was put fruit loops in a bucket of water, they stood on the porch and "aimed." LOL "come on honey, aim at the red one, aim at the orange one." Then moved it indoors from there. (My youngest who is now 5 just started indoors).

But 19 months old is really too early. You are setting him up for disappointment and possibly harder training later. He will tell you when he is ready. That, not to sound rude, is not for you to decide.

Just remember that they don't go to kindergarten in diapers.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Rider
    This is pretty much in line with my understanding. However, because he has been showing interest in Daddy's use of the commode, and was excited to see his own stream for the first time the other day...I thought maybe "things might click" at this time.

He is NOT climbing out of the crib yet. Because he has a little sister coming in about 6 to 7 weeks, we were wanting to work on the transition now, rather than have him associate "getting the boot" with the arrival his new sibling...which I feel could lead to a toddler-version of resentment.
    Wow, 6 - 7 weeks. Not to sound harsh again, but I have been there. You are setting yourself up for disappointment most likely. When the new baby comes he may very well revert.

Let him do it all when HE is ready, not when YOU are ready. He will know when that time comes and HE will tell you.

Jul 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Wow, 6 - 7 weeks...You are setting yourself up for disappointment...Let him do it all when HE is ready, not when YOU are ready. He will know when that time comes and HE will tell you.
    A little clarification: The 6-7 week goal is regarding getting him out of the crib/nursery, NOT getting him potty trained. We plan on the new baby using the crib/nursery (after maybe a month in a bassinet); therefore, we would like him to already be comfortable in his new bed and bedroom. I don't want him to feel like "this new creature arrives, and takes over my crib and room, while I get sent to this big, strange bed in this new, strange room (formerly his play room/toy storage)".
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
    That part is understandable.

Jul 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Maybe make the idea of him getting his new bedroom like the greatest thing in the world. Doll it up real nice with the things he likes, and do thoughtful and intricate details to the room and promote the idea just as well. Get him happy about the idea. If you can get him smiling and excited about it, you've done right.

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 07:17 AM
    XS,
    That's pretty much the approach we're going with. We've just started this week... so, I'm by no means frustrated or freaking; just looking for some input and suggestions. Thanks for yours.
    Thank you, also, J_9
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 28, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I would have to agree he is a bit young to be potty trained. If you still our set on trying I would suggest getting a little kids potty to start and have him get used to sitting on it. I trained my son to sit down first and when he got a bit older my husband put cherrios in the potty for him to aim at. Please don't force your child to sit there all day though and make him drink liquids. All kids develop different. My son was almost 3 when he was potty trained and could make it through the night without having to go.
    As far as the big boy bed I had a crib that converted into a little day bed. My son had no problems switching out at all. However he was almost going on 3 because I didn't want him to roll out or wake up before me and walk around the house. Good luck
    SL85S13 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Rider
    My wife and I have a 19 month-old boy (and a little girl due in September). We would like to work on potty training...any suggestions? Should training start by sitting, progressing to standing...or do we try to go straight to the standing approach?

...we are also trying to transition our son out of the nursery and crib, into his "big-boy" room and bed. Any suggestions here, as well? (Sorry, if this should have been two seperate posts)

Thanks!
    We did the standing approach with our toddler and had him aim at the cheerios that we put in the toilet. He thought this was so much fun that he was trained within 1 week
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I don't mean to sound rude, but you start by waiting. You have to wait until he is ready. You will only frustrate yourselves and him by starting him now. He is way too young to understand the feeling of a full bladder and/or bowel.

This usually occurs (especially in boys) around 2 - 3 years of age.

For your other question, is he climbing out of the crib yet? If not, he is fine where he is.
    I know I'll have to spread it, but this is true. Don't try to do too much too soon, or you'll end up doing more harm than good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

New to Potty Training [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old son and I'm currently in the process of trying to potty train him. I need some help. He will tell me he has to go to the bathroom but when I put him on the toilet he just sits there. He won't go, but as soon as I put the pull up back on him he goes. I've tried bribing...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search