Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    L-001-06-H Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
    RPMs stay high when I stop.
    Well, just got my first stick a while ago... been driving it, and I find that when I get it up to about 4500 RPM, and end up slowing to a stop, it usually only drops to about 3000, until I downshift into first (for stops) and let out the clutch... then, it drops to about 1500 or 2000, where it's soposeto be and takes of just fine... it only does this sometimes, not all the time, and I'm wondering if it's a problem. My last car was an automatic, and I ended up throwing a rod, so this worries me a little. Most of the time though, it drops right back down when I deaccelerate. Any ideas on how to fix this if it is a problem, would also be appreciated.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 05:30 PM
    What are you driving: year make and model? Mielage, recent repairs, etc...

Help us help you.

Jul 17, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    What are you driving: year make and model? Mielage, recent repairs, etc...

Help us help you.
    94 saturn, sc1.

It's a 5 speed, all stock parts (for now), repressed a wheel bearing, two new tie rod ends, and a new ball joint. New rotors, new front break pads, and I'm running it with premium gas, 5 W30 natural oil. The clutch needs adjustment, but it works for now. Shifts just fine, when I'm not tryign to downshift too early, but that's only into first...
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Mileage? Overall condition under the hood?

High idle frequently comes from vacuum leaks associated with fuel delivery and emissions control.

Safety is paramount. There are many moving parts on a running engine that may not be apparent while it's running. So start looking while the engine is OFF.

Look at the vacuum lines on the engine, running seemingly to and fro, to see if any of them have come loose or have broken/dryrotted.

Check those lines and let us know.

Jul 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Mileage? Overall condition under the hood?

High idle frequently comes from vacuum leaks associated with fuel delivery and emissions control.

Safety is paramount. There are many moving parts on a running engine that may not be apparent while it's running. So start looking while the engine is OFF.

Look at the vacuum lines on the engine, running seemingly to and fro, to see if any of them have come loose or have broken/dryrotted.

Check those lines and let us know.
    Forgot the milage, under 200,000 over 100,000, and it's great under the hood. My uncle and I worked on it, he useto be a marine mechanic, and we checked all the lines and valves, we're prety good there, unless we missed something... it only does this sometime, that's the weird part... sputters SLIGHTLY when I turn it on though sometimes, but then idles out...

I did find out there is something up with the 'quad driver imput module' (I think is what it's called), it's a chip that works with the injection system, and it does need to eventually be replaced... think that could cause it?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
    It's not always the easiest or cheapest thing. But now the preliminary stuff has been checked. Now it comes time to get to the technical stuff.
    Possible throttle position sensor worn? Or idle air control valve sticking? (This can sometimes be cleaned and buy some time)

To clean it you need some tools and some throttle plate/carburator cleaner, and some rags. After the engine is warmed up, remove the air cleaner assembly (you are going to access the throttlebody) Now, while bringing the idle up slightly, spray in short bursts, into the throttlebody area. Not just the plate iteslf, but also look for the opening that houses the idle control valve, and clean here, too. All the while keep the engine running to keep that valve open and moving. Let the engine run at idle until stable and check for results. If that works, even for a little while, at least you know you're headed in the right direction.

I would recommend a qualifed certified shop or dealer. I could guess all day, but without the car in front of me and the right tools to access the vehile on-board data, it would still be guessing.

Jul 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Air filter is fine, we did have to replace an air something sensor, but I'll have the shop check these things out when I take it in to get my tires ballanced and my clutch and
    e-break adjusted. And thanks for your time friend.

Jul 19, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Update: I've been driving it hard to get the RPM rate up there, and when it does that, I can smell gas... the quad driver imput thing that needs to be replaced (far as I was told) controls the injection system, could that explain the smell and the RPM rate?

Also, would getting that fixed make it accelerate a bit faster? I think I could get it 0-60 in 9sec with just a tiny bit more percice injection settings... and the voltage was off by a bit when me and my uncle tested it... can't remember what it was though...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

2000 Honda Civic EX suddenly idles at low rpms [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda civic ex that suddenly idles at low rpms. I just replaced the spark plugs but it still idles at low rpms. Please try and help.

Honda Civic 2001 RPMs drop rough idle [ 1 Answers ]

This problem has been bothering me for a while and I have tried a few basic things such as replacing plugs, air filter, and I tried checking the EGR with the "pinch" test because I had read that may cause this problem. But, I got the clicking sound, which supposedly means it is working. When I...

Low rpms [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vanguard V21 engine in a lawn tractor and can't get the rpms up. The throttle is wide open but rpms are low. The choke is off. Its only 1 yr old with few hrs on it. Any ideas??

Oil furnace kick in and stop when water temp is high [ 2 Answers ]

Good afternoon, My house is heated with an oil furnace providing heat to a hot water baseboard system. For the last little while, I noticed the burner kicking-in for a few second when the thermostat send the signal (close the circuit) and stop with a second or two. When it does that the water...

View more questions Search