Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjbarber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Mystery cistern filling
    My wife and I recently moved into a new house and during the day and night we hear what sounds like the toilet cistern either partly filling or flushing. This happens to BOTH bathrooms, more than once and at irregular times.
    What can I do about this??
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Jul 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
    It sounds like there is a leak at the bottom of the tank.
    When the water level in the reservoir goes down, the float drops and the valve opens to fill the tank
    Try putting some dye in the back of the toilet and see if it shows up in the bowl.
    If the dye shows up in the bowl then the flapper seal is not holding and will have to be replaced.
    This is usually the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow filling Cistern [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have read the adviice about the slow filling cistern but the problem I'm having is getting the push button lid off in the first place. It's a Vileroy and Bosh I'm trying to unscrew it but it is not untightening and is annoyingly going around in circles.:mad: Is there a magic...

Slow filling cistern [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet is the push-button variety. Recently, the cistern takes about 30 minutes to fill after flushing. When I remove the cistern lid, the cistern is filling but water is spraying slightly from the joint that controls the level of water in the cistern. I've now idea where the water comes into...

Toilet cistern not filling up [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet cistern will not fill up. The water is going into the cistern OK .But After the cistern only gets a small amount in it, water starts going down the Toilet pan? Any ideas?

Slow filling toilet cistern [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a push button toilet which has just started to fill really slowly. Inside, there looks like there's a plastic arm with one end stopping a jet of water and the other end pivoting on the float. The end that stops the jet of water is hissing water out of the top whilst there's just a...

Toilet Cistern Not Filling [ 6 Answers ]

Today a neighbour was having some plumbing work done in his house, he wasn't sure which was his Stop **** so he turned ours off as a process of elimination. Not a problem. He turns it off and our water stops, turns it back on again and the water works again, surprise, surprise. A short time...

View more questions Search