Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billyjean Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Elderly parent abuse
    My parents were put in a nursing home by my brothers. They told them it would only be for a short time while they got physical therapy.
    Neither one qualified for pt but they are still in there nine months later.
    Now they are weak from not doing much and I am not sure they could live on their own.
    Also my brothers have taken all of their belongs without telling them.
    They had the parents sign power of attorney over to them by lying to them and telling them they were just trying to get them extra help with their bills.
    I can't prove this so my lawyer says there isn't much I can do. Is he right?
    I feel this is abuse of the elderly and there should be a way to hang them for what they did.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Without proof or your parents swearing out a complaint I don't see what you can do. You might contact you local social services agency, many have elder care departments who can advise you further.

Jul 13, 2007, 06:32 AM
    What do you mean by swearing out a complaint?

Jul 13, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Your parents would have to go to the police or distrct attorney to swear out a complaint that they have been taken advantage of.

Jul 13, 2007, 06:50 AM
    I would think their lawyer could do this for them also. Do you think he could?

Jul 13, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Sure. If they think they are being abused, they should consult their attorney for advice.

Jul 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
    I was wondering if at their age they might say they do not know what they are doing as they are 95 years old.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
    If your parents are in their right mind, they can give details of how their sons got power of attorney and then put them into a nursing home, took over their possessions, and didn't get for them the PT that had been promised.

A lawyer would (probably for a fee) go to the nursing home to have them sign papers for elder abuse.

There is a National Council on Aging (see their web site) plus area Councils on Aging with an office near you. Check the phone book for a contact number. They specilize in elder abuse.

Jul 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
    If it went to court is there any chance my parents would have to take the stand? I feel at their age it would be too hard on them.

Jul 15, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Depends, a judge might allow their testimony or deposition be taken at the nursing home. But, if they prefer charges, they will have to testify.

Jul 16, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Thanks everyone but they are just not up to going to court at age 95. It is too bad when someone is abused by their own family.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Because of their age and disabilities, certainly the court would accept a deposition taken at the nursing home. Check with a lawyer or the Council on Aging (heavily involved in elder abuse cases) before you accept what is said here and give up.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Just a quick update. I lost my Dad. We buried him today. He just wasn't the type to put in a nursing home.

Aug 1, 2007, 05:34 AM
    My condolences to you and your family.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 08:17 AM
    I'm so sorry to hear that, billyjean.

Aug 2, 2007, 12:21 AM
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and sent their blessings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visit the elderly [ 5 Answers ]

How about going going out and doing a visit with some of the senior citizens this week. Many don't get visited over the Holidays, and some never get visited. If you have an elderly aunt or uncle, mom or dad don't forget to give them a call. Just a little of our time can mean so much to...

Elderly Hospital Debt [ 1 Answers ]

My mother-in-law was diagnosed about 20 years ago as being bi-polar and was on medication to treat that. She was hospitalized in October 2006 for 5 months. She was in a physicatric hospital for awhile, a nursing home for awhile and then at Memorial Southwest. The doctors were trying to regulate...

Elderly in general [ 2 Answers ]

Who is defined as “the aged” What status are the aged given within the family unit / society in general What authority are the aged given inside the family unit / society in general Is there evidence of discrimination against the elderly

Financially Irresponsible Elderly parent [ 5 Answers ]

My mother is 74 and widowed. When my father was alive, he was able to maintain both her financial and social skills. She was very ill in 2001 and since then, she has become financially irresponsible. She does not maintain any form of budget or balance her checking account. She owns her home,...

Elderly woman in trouble... [ 1 Answers ]

My friend's elderly neighbor in Arkansas recently received notice that she will be evicted in 30 days. The reason is because the person she was renting from failed to pay on his mortgage. Is there anything she can do to remain in the house? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

View more questions Search