Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbnorlund Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Elder law
    Since 1999 I have been taking care of my grandmother. It started with home maintenance and has progressed to help with finances, medical appointments, and basic physical care. In July of last year my uncle's daughter, her boyfriend and their daughter moved in with my grandmother. Neither of them are working. I advised her against this, but she said that her son (the uncle) said that it was all right. I noticed that money was missing from my grandmother's account and that she had begun bouncing checks. I later found out that my uncles daughter was taking her to the bank several times a week for money. My uncle took over her finances in December. Since then, her cable has been cut off, she has received disconnect notices on her gas and electric and she has no money for groceries. This month, I took over again. I have been receiving harassing phone calls and my uncle, his wife and the daughter mentioned before have been telling grandmom that I am stealing from her. I have gotten a surety bond and save every receipt. I am concerned that with grandmom's Alzheimers Disease, they are doing more harm to her.
    I need to know if there is any recourse against these people and what I can do to protect my grandmother. Both her son and I have POA and he is demanding that I surrender mine. I am not prepared to do that.
    Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Only the person who gave you the POA can take it away. If she has serious Alzheimers, someone needs to be appointed as the guardian.

If she gave them the money, it is not stealing.
    hbnorlund Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Thank you for your answer. I have filed for Guardianship and conservatorship and now have to play the waiting game. I am increasingly frustrated by the way they treat her and that until all is said and done there is not a whole lot that I can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get rid of ground Elder [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can any one help tell me how to rid my garden of ground Elder. Every time you chop one down, two appear in its place. They are taking over. Is there some kind of ground Elder Killer chemical that does exactly what is says on the tin ? Please let me know a solution. Jon.

How do I keep box elder bugs away? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get rid of box elder bugs? The south side of my house is just covered with them. I have two kids under 5, and a dog, so I would rather not use pesticides. I know they will fly away to feed, but how do I keep them from coming back. It seems like every year they have become more numerous. ...

Elder Law and Medi-cal/Medi-care [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a mom and a mom-in-law who are both over 70, retired, and on Medi-cal/Medi-care. In the process of doing some research, much to my dismay, I recently found out that M/M will seize your assets (bank account, property, etc) upon your passing if you are in their system (using...

Box Elder Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home with a nice box elder in the yard. I noticed that some of the branches were dead and proceeded to cut them out. This year, some of the branches died just as the leaves were about half the size that they reach during the spring. Is this a bug or fungus problem? I...

Box Elder Bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get rid of box elder bugs? I live in a mobile home and have been annoyed by these harmless bugs since we moved in but can't find anything to get rid of them... any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

View more questions Search