Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jul 4, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Oil Tank
    My oil tank is outside. I'm not sure if it is leaking or if it's moisture. My question is, is there something I can brush on to stop any if any leaks?
    Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Wipe it down with paper towels and some paint thinner. Lay clean towels under the tank to see what drips, if water just ignore it, if oil you have troubles. Leaking fittings can be replaces but if the tank itself leaks it mighjt need replacement. Goop makes a plumbing sealer but you'd need to get the area pretty darn clean and dry to get anything to adhere.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jul 5, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Problem with old oil tanks, water and moisture get in and settle to the bottom eventually causing decay and leaks. It could be water leaking now but when that's gone the oil will come. If the tank leaks have it replaced, if the fittings leak they also should be replaced but you may have to empty the tank first depending on where the leak is. You can check for water in your tank with a dip stick and some water finder paste on the end of the stick. (paste changes color when it comes into contact with water

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Oil tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 250 gallon oil tank that I want to replaced. How much money am looking at. Thanks

View more questions Search