Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jul 3, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Birth control
    I have recently noticed how many questions we have about birth control. I would like to know what types of birth control you liked the most and the good and the bad about them. I know this sounds like a homework assignment but it may help someone to make a decision about what form to use as a prevetitive to pregnancy and after the birth of a child... or two.

I myself have used many different forms of because. Depo, pills, condoms, abstinence, and the merina IUD all of which have pro's and con's. I really like the IUD. It has shown to be really effective and little to no responsibility. I have a very fluctuating daily schedule and won't remember to take a pill. I hated the depo shot and will not recommend that to anyone. I am married and with only one person and plan to be with only one person so I feel that condoms are a bit of a pain. So I went with the IUD after the twins we're born. 5 years of low matinance because at half the cost of pills over that span just seems right for me.

Con's:
    Sometimes the strings poke either myself or my hubby during sex. Uncomfortable, but in light of all the things that could go wrong doable. This is what I prefer. What kind do you use?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Before I got pregnant with my first son, I was taking the pill, I don't remember which one it was issued to me in boot camp. Well, like you, I forgot to take the pill, and then came my first son. After he was born, I was on Depo. Biiiiig mistake. I gained a TON of weight, wouldn't have a period for 3-5 months, and then when I finally started I bled for whtat seemed like forever! I was due for my next shot and my doctor wouldn't give it to me until I got a pap smear (I don't know why). Navy doctors appoitments you have to get a month in advance, so somehow in that month my Depo wore off and then came my second son. Now I am simply just using condoms, which are fine I guess in a pinch, but they are expensive and a little bit of a bother. I am going in for my IUD next week so I'll let you know how that goes! :)

Jul 3, 2007, 11:14 AM
    You'll kind of cramp a bit at first... I'll tell you another thing I looooooove about it.. No period. I will spot here and there but 5 years without one is a god send for me... lol.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I have used the pill and had the Norplant back in the 90s. I had my tubes "clipped" with ceramic clips about 4 years ago.

I think the Norplant was the best. It got a lot of bad press and a lot of women had bad side affects, but I wasn't one of them. I, too, am a busy person and not great about taking pills everyday. I could have had them out if I wanted to conceive. They lasted 5 years, but weren't available for reimplantation when they ran out.

The pill worked for me - but would often forget a day or two then worry - or get my cycle all out of whack.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    You'll kinda cramp a bit at first... I'll tell you another thing I looooooove about it.. No period. I will spot here and there but 5 years without one is a god send for me....lol.

That sounds great to me! I, as all women, hate my period! One question though, when your 5 years is up and you begin to have a period again, what's it like?

Jul 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Ok. I've had mine for less than a year now, so I'm really not sure. But from what my ob/gyn said that once that time is up you can conceive right away unless it's replaced. If you get it replaced then the IUD is effective immediately. That's another thing I absolutely love about it. It's not wait a week it's not something you have to dispose of. It's just there and protecting you from the moment it is inserted. I feel safer with this form of because than any other one that I've been on... EVER! My period didn't just go away though but it's been about nine months and it's pretty much has gotten lighter every month till it's nonexsistant. You still ovulate and have period like mood swings and the such without the bleeding part though. I don't have the copper one so I'm not sure about that one. I have the low dose progesterone one. I hope this helps a little. I hope you like yours when you get it. It does take sometime to get used to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 5 Answers ]

I have a really bad head ace but I also need to take my birth control but can I take them one after the other?? :confused:

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

Can birth control make you have some of the symptoms of being pregnant? I mean can it give you headaches, mood swings, tender breasts etc.

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

hey if anyone can give me any info on the depo vara shot that would be great...i got it about a month ago about 4 months after having my son and its the first time i've used birth control...the doctor didn't tell me much about it, please any info u might have would help like the side effects ...

View more questions Search