Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Thank you all very much!

Im thinking it is her anal glands/sacs, because she chases her tail often, and scoots often in the mornings usually, however...

Nothing around her anus is red... and I tried pressing on it with a pad yesterday, she didn't seem to mind, but nothing came out.

I have completely stopped the wet food now. I was unsure about this, and still am a bit because her poop goes very hard... looking hard to push out as though maybe she gets constipated. The wet food helps it be softer, but isn't good for the anal glands.

I'll keep her on dry food and see how it goes, but when her poop looks hard and more difficult to come out, I feel like she's probably constipated and it likely hurts her pushing it out all hard like that, and being a dog -she can't tell me. So I don't know...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Is what you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow? In 1992 when I started raising dog guide puppies, the school was using regular, dry, corn based Purina, but switched to Pro Plan a few years later. I didn't see than much difference in the dogs. My reaction to the stools was that, yes they were easier to clean up, you could almost just put them in your pocket. If you didn't clean them up, somebody might step on one and hurt their foot. I think what you are seeing is normal.

I have tried emptying anal glands without much success. I was afraid to try to do much. I have noted a lack of warnings on them. Use plenty of paper towels, as the very foul stuff comes squirting out. Emptying them may be one of those things that is much more difficult than it looks. I have also heard of dogs being injured from bad technique. Some things are best learned with hands on help.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Food for thought... 1.why don't you give her the wet food with her dry in different amounts until you come up with a stool consistency that does not alarm you. 2. did you ever think maybe she is just playing with her tail. 3. I have a rescued chi/ rat terrier and when he was small his spots developed over the course of the months 4. have a pom/dashund and she scoot's sometimes after a b.m She doesn't have anal gland problems nor does she have worms. Maybe you are just getting yourself worked up over nothing. labman is right get a vets help with the anal glands. And stop worrying so much and enjoy your dog, you will figure everything out, because you care. :)peace
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
    As long as she isn't giving up on a bowel movement only to try again soon, I doubt there is a problem. I don't know what you are feeding, but many of those that urge expensive dog chows go on about how firm the stools are.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
    I believe the content of the dog food is what counts... be careful of the fillers that is why I check the back of the bags.. find out what bone meal... and all those other terms mean before you decide that that brand is good for your dog. :)
    catsandkittensandmittens Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Seems like you have a lot of trouble with your dog! I am sorry for you!
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
    There is no doubt that you must feed more of a grain based chow, and the dog will have larger, softer stools. However if cleaning up the stools isn't an issue, they can be an economical alternative. I find it very tiresome for people to endlessly condemn fillers without presenting any evidence of problems. My son is feeding his Foxhound Purina, and she is doing fine.
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jun 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Panic/Black patches of skin on puppy
    I still don't know exactly why this is happening to my dog. She's a 4 month old jack russell cross chihuaha female. They are small black patches of skin that were previously pink, on her belly, ear flaps, and butt.

She always had them on her feet pads black with pink, so as someone already suggested, its likely just the skin pigmentation she's supposed to have right?

Just concerns me a bit because they are now on her butt of all places.

Does anyone know what else it could be or mean? I can't find anything about it on Google.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 02:03 PM
    I merged your new question into the one you originally brought up the skin patches to make it easier for everybody to have all the information before answering.

Your puppy seems to have a number of problems, some of which may be related. I am afraid some of them won't be solved without a vet examining her. Text on the internet is no substitute for eyeballs. Smell, skin scrapings under a microscope, etc. help too. I hope you can find a way to have her examined soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Black skin near knee and elbow! [ 2 Answers ]

I am somewhat brown skinned though my skin colour is in chest area and my upper arm. But around my knee and elbows my skin is totally black... as though clogged up with dirt. How do I make my skin colour near my knee normal again? And why does my chest and upper arm have a much lighter colour...

Black Skin? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm a girl, and I have brown skin, (african!) and I was just wondering if any others have tried tanning their skin to get a one golden colour all over, does any other black girls or men know if this works, or if ANY ONE DOES regardless of colour could help answer this would be helpful. I also...

Dirty skin patches [ 1 Answers ]

I have dirty skin patches on the back of my neck,elbows,ankles,and knees. Soap or alcohol does not work. Does any one know about this or how to get rid of it?

Black Lab Very Dry Skin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old black lab puppy with very dry skin. Puppy dandruff shampoo does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search