Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluetooth Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Embarrassing Illnesses
    I have a question to ask about my son, he is 18.
    For the last few months I have noticed how badly he leaves the toilet smelling after he has opened his bowels.
    I have never in my life smelt something so horrid.
    Now I know it has a smell anyway, but this smell is not normal. It's so bad; I have to open all the windows in the house to alleviate the stench.

A friend who experienced the odour in the air who had been visiting for the day pointed out to me that he needs to see the doctor ASAP. In his opinion, it seemed abnormal too.

Last night I was watching a medical programme on the TV, they were discussing this particular topic and the patient turned out to be suffering with Crohn's disease?
    Can anyone advise me?
    Is there a doctor in the house??

I'd appreciate all views please; I don't think I could bare to smell any more of his number 2's. YUK!!

Thanks All
    Blue
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jun 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
    You know, it could be as simple as his diet. Personally, I would advise you to increase his fiber intake and see if that helps...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 10:47 AM
    It very well could be his diet as Kepi says. Crohn's Disease has many many other symptoms besides bowel odor.

It could be a bacterial disorder such as C Diff. You should have him seen by a doctor and have a stool culture done to rule out any disorder such as C Diff. Has he been on any antibiotics in the last 6 months or so?

Jun 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Thank you for your interest.
    In response to your question, no, he has not been taking antibiotics over the last 6 months.

This has been a problem for many years but I thought it was normal. It was a friend that pointed out that it seems abnormal.
    Thinking back to his childhood, I remember often visiting the doctors because he was always constipated. He often complained of stomach aches and problems going to the toilet.

I'm just starting to wonder if it's linked somehow?

Thank you once again, your feeedback is greatly appreciated.

Blue
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2007, 01:58 PM
    My mother has Crohn's Disease and there are certain things she can't eat like corn and peas. If she eats these things it will trigger a blockage and she won't use the bathroom for up to a week, along with terrible abdominal cramps. Does your son experience any of this stuff?
    Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
    If he has been experiencing this for some time he should most likely get checked out.

Does he go back and forth between constipation and diarrhea? Do certain foods trigger any sort of stomach ache?

**EDIT** Sorry if this is a little gross, but it is a necessary question... Does his BM have the color of clay?

Jun 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
    He often complains that he has stomach pains but I have always put it down to indegestion.

I spoke to him earlier today and asked him to please book a doctors appointment (if only to rule out certain things).

Knowing him, he will never get around to making that appointment so it looks like I will be making that call first thing on Monday.

Thanks for your interest...
    Blue
    Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Here is a great website about Crohn's. Hope it helps.

Crohn's Online

Jun 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
    LOL J9... It's OK, I don't find that question gross at all. I just want some kind of idea or 2 so that I can determine whether I need to send him to a doctor.

Yes... he spends up to an hour sometimes in the toilet, when I complain about the time he takes he shouts back that he wants to make sure he has gone to the toilet properly. It does not help that we only have 1 toilet in the house... huh.
    I have no idea what colour his BM's are or whether he has diarrhoea. I will ask him but I'm sure he'll be embarrassed to answer. Ha ha

Thank you
    B
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
    But of course at 18, he may be doing other activities in the bathroom, but also drug or drinking issues can cause some of this also.

Jun 17, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Hmmm I don't think so as he is a Muslim. He is very serious about his religion and drugs and alcohol is a big No No for him...

He is a good lad.
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Then it sounds like it's down to Crohn's or the diet. Let us know what it was...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend faking mental illnesses [ 16 Answers ]

I've known "Nicole" (not her real name obviously) for 7 or 8 years. I have watched, for years, her attention seeking and dramatics. Nicole diagnoses herself with mental problems or illnesses either on her own, or by taking internet tests. She claims to be both bi-polar and manic depressant...

Frequent Illnesses [ 3 Answers ]

My 18-year old daughter seems to be getting sick all of the time. Typically this happens right around the time of her menses. In the past year she has had strep throat twice, cat scratch disease, a form of odd conjunctivitis, various upper respiratory infections (viral), and now seems to be...

View more questions Search