Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grogy Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2007, 06:44 AM
    CH4 + H20 + HEAT = 3H2 + CO. Valance electrons?
    What dose the nickel based catalyst specifically do at the valance electron level to enable the reaction?

Gord
    Andreas_111 Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jun 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
    I don't think that it does anythink to the valence electrons level. All it does is either to atomize the reactants or help the creation of the reaction intermediate that reduces the activation energy of the reaction, thus the reaction reaches equilibrium faster
    Grogy Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Thanks Andreas,

This is interesting; I have no resource to explore this subject. I have found very little on the net. I work with allot of catalyst and I have yet to hear an explanation that satisfies my curiosity about catalyst and its function.

I have heard the interpretation that a catalyst eases the reaction but not as you put it “lessens the energy required”.

The example I had from a technician that came to do the reduction of our last batch tried to help me with this explanation " water will absorb salt until it is saturated, if the water is heated it will happen faster, heat is the catalyst" from that I understood that the reaction will happen if the reactance are present but the catalyst enables it to happen faster.

My confusion comes from the problem we encounter with a later part of the process where if there is any carbon left in the process it "plugs the catalyst" or "poisons it.

The term "poisons it.

The term " is where I have originated this question. I understand that the atoms for example water, H2O and methane, CH4 in the nickel catalyst the H2 part of the molecule stick to the catalyst and the carbon and oxygen break off.

I have visualized the valence electrons of the nickel some how bond with the hydrogen and the carbon and oxygen break off free to bond together in the next vessel containing an iron based catalyst.

Making NH3 but I don’t know how.
    Andreas_111 Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jun 13, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Actially all the catalyst does is to give the reaction an alternative route that has a smaller activetion energy and thus is more kineticaly fissible.
    I think youshould try reading a book on general chemistry or chemical kinetics rather than searching the web. That is my sugestion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electrons in a uniform electric field [ 9 Answers ]

An electron travelling at a constant speed enters a uniform electric field at right angles to the field. While the electron is in the field it accelerates in a direction which is A in the same direction as the electric field. B in the opposite direction to the electric field. C in the same...

Electrons and orbitals [ 2 Answers ]

OK I'm trying to do my chem hwk and it says bromine has 35 electrons and 4 orbitals... but you can't fit that many electrons in 4 orbitals I just don't understand plzz help!!

No hot H20 pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I'm "extremely" new at home repairs so here goes... I have a tub w/ a cartridge type (Moen) single handle faucet - it's 20 yrs old-the hot H20 pressure just stopped ( cold water works fine/ & all other hot taps work) I replaced it with a new cartridge -still no luck, I've tried to empty the hot...

View more questions Search