Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slh6582 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Bank Reconciliation
    I need help with a homework problem... 1. For each of the following items, indicate whether its amount (I) affects the bank or book side of
    A bank reconciliation and (ii) represents an addition or a subtraction in a bank reconciliation:
    a. Outstanding checks
    b. Debit memos
    c. NSF checks
    d. Unrecorded deposits
    e. Interest on cash balance
    f. Credit memos
    g. Bank service charges
    2. Which of the items in part 1 require an adjusting journal entry
    I think I may be getting the bank and book side mixed up so can anyone help... here are my answers so far...
    a. Bank side---subtract
    b. Book side--subtract
    c. Book side---subtract
    d. Bank side—add
    e. Book side—add
    f. Book side-add
    g. Bank side---subtract
    omsailogistic Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

May 31, 2007, 12:43 PM
    LOL its very easy
    Use your one hand to represent BANK BOOK and other to represent FINANCIL BOOK...
    Now make this test... put both hands at level position... and ask question from yourself
    1 which side will be affected by the question and in which direction i.e. up or down
    Lets take a simple example
    Service charges... are charged by bank but do not arise in financial records until reconciliation is made...
    Now if you are starting your reconciliation from bank balance... and wants to reach on book balance...
    See how service charges have had effected your bank book... debit in bank statement means bank balance is reduced. The representing hand goes down from the level and in
    Order to bring both hands to level WE HAV TO REDUCE THE BOOK BALANCE... now the both hands are at level again.
    Therefore we have to follow same procedure again for next items

Since this is a homework for you I'm not telling all this time... try it yourself once or twice
    I will answer it later...

May 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Well I did your test that you told me, but I am still very confused. I am doing very good in this class so far and this is the first challenge I have had. It's probably very easy haha... What is wrong with me? I still got the same answers as I did before!

May 31, 2007, 06:38 PM
    OK so I think I may have figured it out... they are all on the book side except outstanding checks! Right?

May 31, 2007, 07:02 PM
    HAHA OK I take that back... unrecorded deposits is also affects the ank side!
    omsailogistic Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

May 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Since you have carried out the test... and it may be helpful to you. You can tally your answer in either of following situation:

Situation1 : if u had started with bank balance... the answer comes out should be equal to book balance

Situation 2 : if u had started with book balance... the answer comes out should be equal to bank balance
    pree007 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Remember your debit is banks credit and vice versa
    So keep on tallying you are balance with banks until you finish all the transactions and finally you get the balance of opponent you started with as explained in the form of two situations by omsailogistic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Reconciliation [ 9 Answers ]

1. The CASH account in the Depositors Ledger is an what? (a)asset with debit balance (b) asset with credit balance (c) liability with a debit balance (d) liability with a credit balance 2. Following the completion of the bank rec. and adjusting entry was made that debited cash and redited...

Bank Reconciliation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to reconcile this company's bank account for homework and I have become very confused. The reconciled balance should be 34,308 and the Credit Notes Rec. should be 9000. I cannot get this and I've started over three times. Maybe someone could help? 1. After all posting is...

View more questions Search