Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
    High School Baseball Politics.
    My son is going to be a Freshman next year and the school he is going to has the High School coaches coaching our children in baseball this year in order to prepare them for high school baseball..
    I have had many ups and downs in baseball with my son because he is deaf, amongst other things..
    What I would like to know is if anyone has found a productive way to communicate with coaches, who cuss the kids, belittle them, and lie to them? They work for the public school here but they don't seem to have to go by the rules that a public school employee does. My son has to go to school here for 4 more years, but the baseball program is a mess and the coaches have no respect. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help in confronting the coaches with their misbehavior, or is this just something no one can do anything about? I have the personality of someone who likes to make a difference. Please ethical and legal ways to change things only.
    jvibe101 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
    LOL... not making fun of the situation bt when I thought about it it really is funny. I play high school sports and referee for the rec league. To answer the question all you have to do is launch a complaint to one of the school administrators. Or just talk to the coach at a meeting because 90% of the time the coach is also a teacher. The reason I found it humorous is because when you have a nice coach the parents get angry "cuz hes too soft" and angry when "hes too hard on the kids". I hope your problem is addressed and solved and that the truth. I have had both kinds of coaches and can tell you there are usually only one or the other but anything sounds better than what you have told me about.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Have you checked to see if there is a Challenger division in your local Little League? Players up to 21 years of age are eligible. Challenger baseball welcomes players with disabilities and has been a great program that my son and I have participated in.

I have always found it interesting that sports coaches have a different set of rules. My High School football coach was a real SOB and cussed a blue streak and no one said a thing. I think if my HS English teacher would have done the same there would have been a furor.
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2007, 10:46 PM
    To vibe- thanks for the insight, and you are right about how we are about the coaches. They have a hard job, but I think most of what they do is deal with the parents. This is unfortunate but true.
    Its funny you said that you coached for the rec league, I saw the wierdest thing not too long ago. A kid around 13 years old was ref a soccer game, a parent got really mad at the kid, and kept saying really rude things to him. About 15 minutes later. A really BIG guy walks onto the soccer field and right up to the guy smartin off to the kid who was the ref. -Needless to say this BIG guy happen to be the DAD of the kid who was reffing. Unfortunately the guy smartin off got a taste of his own medicine and the DAD knocked him on his butt. I guess the guy should have kept his mouth shut, because in front of his kid and all the other little kids they took the dad away in a police car. That's how out of hand things can get, if you let them.
    jvibe101 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2007, 04:29 AM
    Yeah... I like reffing and coaching but some parents can get a little too worked up
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Yes the parents are part of the problem why many are not putting their children into organised sports, schools and coaches have a lot of pressure to have a winning season, Parents all want their child to be 1st string or get to play sometimes and always think there kid is better than the other kids. In city little league I have seen parents get into physcail fights over calls on the field. And hear the parents yelling words at the ump or other kids that saliors don't use.

I think many coaches yell and use "language" because that is the way their coaches did in high school and college ( I know all of mine did) and they just think that is how it is suppose to be done.
    And if a coach has a winning season, normally no amount of complaints are going to matter for some of the school.

But as noted you can complain to the school and you can talk to the coach, but you can also expect perhaps for the coach to find a reaon for your son not to make the team or to end up on the bench. Not fair, nope, but it is also life, and in sports, it is all sujective, there is no written test to prove skill.
    bdymo691 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
    I play High School football, and I still have another 2 years left, but honestly, baseball coaches are the same as any other coach. They cuss at you all the time in any sport, whether its baseball for your son, or for me lacrosse and football, especially football, and it only gets worse once your son reahces the varsity levels and if he should continue, it gets even worse at the college levels. I know that from experience, my older brother and I are both two pretty big guys, both have a heart to playing football, my older brother plays football for Miami University, and his coaches cuss at him even when there not even on the field. Its just a natural way of coaching. But since your child has a disability, I would recommend not letting him play on a High School baseball team, especially if he is deaf, because most coaches do not know how to do sign language on a regular HS baseball team. However, there is a league that is nation-wide across the United States, and is ran in sections. It may have a different name in different locations but it is funded by the children's services of special needs. Its basically a challenger athletic league, where people up to the age of 21, can play in the league for any type of athletic event it is for people with disabilities only. I have a cousin autism, he is 12 years old, he loves the game of lacrosse, but can not play the actual sport, my family put him in this league and he loves it, so for children with disabilities, I strongly recommend this league.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

What is a high school [ 8 Answers ]

What is a high school

High school in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, do you have a list of the top 10 specialize high school in NYC? And if you know any reasonable private tutor for the SHSAT test... Thank you

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

High school interns [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search