Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonja 1987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 08:12 PM
    My daughter was adopted illegaly
    When I was 16 I got pregnant when my baby was 4 months some girls called Cyfd onme cause they were jelouse they liked my babies dad my daugter was placed with my aunt for six months cause I sighned over power of attorney to her it was better than her going into the system after the 6 months my aunt asked if she could adopt my baby I told her no she begged me for several days and bribed me with money and a car she wanted to adopt my baby because she had indemitriosis and could not have her own babyi sighned my rights over but I was a minor it was done at there house on there table the notary was my uncles cousin and my gaurian was not present I feel like if my baby was kidnapped from me by my aunt and uncle and I need legal advice from you people cause I need my baby all my aunt and uncle do is fight and my uncle gets drunk everyday my baby has 2 other sister who my aunt does not let her acknowledge she is keeping her and itsillegal I was a minor my guardian was not around when I sighned the papers I was burned help me what should I do:confused: :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
    It may not be illegal, since you did know what you were doing, informed.
    And your guardian did not file any objections to it.
    But the only choice you have now is to hire an attorney and file a motion to have it over turned.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 29, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Well custody has to be done by a judge. So go down to the police station and tell them the story. Make sure they know you NEVER went to court over this! File for custody of her, it only cost like $35 (in VA). Do you have money for a lawyer? Make sure you tell the police that your uncle drinks all the time and they do nothing but fight!

Basically go down and file for custody of your baby :) Make sure you have your home together and where the baby would stay together! Get prepared and prove you WANT her and can provide for her and you should get her easy

Like I said. If a JUDGE didn't grant her custody and you only signed a paper that was notarized then (atleast in VA) it is not recognized in court. Make sure you tell the judge she bribed you with money and a car and you made a bad choice! :) Wish you well and let us know how things go :)
    Kristen
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 29, 2007, 10:41 PM
    From what your saying, the adoption was legal. They only needed to hire an attorney to file legal paperwork. That is, you say you signed over your rights. Your being a minor has absolutely nothing to do with it... as the mother you have to sign for your baby to be adopted. Short of getting an attorney, I don't see your getting your child back. Of course there are always circumstances that have not been explained and may make a difference. How old are you now? How old is the baby? At what age was the baby when you signed papers? Do you know if they were filed in court? It may be one of the biggest mistakes you feel you've made however not all mistakes can be taken back or redone. I truly am sorry you have family that is so unethical. See if you can set up visits with the baby, become active in her life. Good luck.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 03:18 PM
    We really can't give you "legal advice" per se. That's what attorneys are for and you need to talk to one. Call the Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service for your county of residence and inform them that you need an attorney with experience in Family law. The number will be in your local Yellow Pages and also available on the internet.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
    I believe in some states a minor is not allowed to enter into any type of contract without the consent of a parent or legal guardian... I agree with brazygirl... go to the police see what they say. Good luck
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
    sonja 1987,

I'm shocked this should not be happening. Please find a responsible adult that you trust and explain exactly what happened and how much you want your child back. Look for someone to help you find an anterny or go to the police. Stick to the facts and fight for your child. I don't know US law but it dosen't seem on the up and up to me. Ask your aunt for a copy of everything you signed. Keep important papers safe.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 7, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Minors can legally sign adoption papers, as their status as legal parent supersedes their status as a minor child in the case of consent to relinquish. Look up the Stephanie Bennett case, even with blatant deception of her parents on the part of a school counselor and the adoption agency, she has been unable to have her rights reinstated.

You really need an experienced attorney, the longer the child is with the adoptive parents, the more likely a judge is to rule that staying with them is in the child's best interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopted brother [ 10 Answers ]

Am I legally allowed to look for my over 18 yr old brother , even though my mum doesn't want too.. How do I go about this.. I am 30 and in UK

Looking for my brother who was adopted out [ 5 Answers ]

My brother was adopted out when I was 8 years old. I was told that he died after birth. I have since found out this is not true. He was born at the Mater Hospital in 1971 and his birth name was Anthony. Could you please help me find him.

I think I adopted my daughter Illeagaly [ 5 Answers ]

When I was 17 I had a baby girl with a boy who was abusive... We sigh:confused: ned a for that says RELINQUISHMENT OF INFANT BY PARENTS.. There were no attornys around or a notory.. so does this mean it was illeagal.. Is there such thing as RELINQUISHMENT OF INFANT BY PARENTS paper or what? I was...

How would my husband adopted my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is amber. My husband wants to adopted my daughter, but we don't know where her bio father is. How do I do this . How would I go about my husband adopting her?

View more questions Search