Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Artificial sweetners and type two diabetic
    Friends have told me brown sugar is better than those artificial sweeteners. Brown sugar is low in carbohydrates. What do you think?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
    You realize that brown sugar is probably going to flavor your food or drink in a manner that makes it quite un-tastey?

Splenda is the best artificial sweetner on the market right now for diabetics.
    amolson Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
    I used to be on this naturopath diet where he took me off sugar and wheat, etc. As a sugar supplement, I used Stevia. This is a plant extract and is completely natural. It is 300 times sweeter than sugar however, so you need to be careful with how much you use. It is also a very fine powder, so when you do put it in your coffee or cereal, for example, you will want to be careful that you don't put too much. On the bottle, it states what the conversion is so you won't use too much.

You can buy this stuff at Save On, or in health food stores. That's what I recommend.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Amolson, I have never heard of Stevia. Is it safe for diabetics?
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Yes I have used stevia liquid. Did not like the taste.
    Splenda takes a lot of packs to sweeten everything
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 20, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Stevia is a healthier alternative to other sweeteners, as it contains no calories and a zero glycemic index. An ideal choice for diabetics, stevia is becoming increasingly recommended for those suffering from diabetes.
    amolson Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Safe for diabetics? That's a good question. I am positive it would be but since I am not a doctor, I would suggest consulting with a pharmacist. They may not have the knowledge when it comes to natural supplements, but a health food store definitely would.

I know the liquid doesn't taste all that great, but you may be better with the powder. Depending on what you are using it for, you may be best with honey.
    nfacciolo Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
    I am a type 2 diabetic. I use Equal for coffee and things like that and my wife uses Splenda to bake with. You truly cannot tell the difference in baking. Splenda and some of the others are much to sweet in coffee etc.
    CleverGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 12:47 PM
    BROWN SUGAR IS NOT LOW IN CARBS! It is less processed than white, bleached sugar, but it's not low in carbs!

1tsp of brown sugar has the same carbs as 1 tsp of white sugar.

Try stevia... Try splenda...
    They have no carbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing artificial stack rock. [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently completed the construction of a wrap deck. It is supported with 14 concrete block columns ranging from about 6 to 10 feet tall. I am in the process of installing artificial stack rock on the columns. This is taking much longer than I anticipated, largely due to working with the...

Artificial marble shower join [ 1 Answers ]

We had a Corian type shower installed 10 years ago. The clear grout became discolored after 5 years and so we had it redone. The shower began to leak probably between the walls of the shower and the pan. We had it regrouted I with white flexible grout and the problem continues. The only suggestion...

View more questions Search