Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2023, 06:35 PM
    He didn't make those statements. Weren't part of His thinking process. Were the invention of mortals.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2023, 08:28 PM
    He didn't make those statements.
    You're grasping at straws.

Were the invention of mortals.
    There is simply no good reason to believe that. The truth is that you only accept what agrees with your own ideas. That's why I am concerned for you. You seem to have a fantasy Jesus, one invented in your own mind and one over which you can exert control. But there is no salvation in a fantasy, and there is no Jesus who is subject to our own whims. The only Jesus is the one of whom we read in the Bible, and every word of it is to be received and believed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2023, 08:34 PM
    Hope to see you in heaven!
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2023, 10:06 AM
    He knows humans don't want to love and be loved out of fear of hellfire, because it's required.
    "We love, because he first loved us."
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 10:12 AM
    If we can accept that quote as being reliable, and that has been far from certain, then I would imagine we can all agree with that idea.

He knows humans don't want to love and be loved out of fear of hellfire, because it's required.
    I'm always very suspicious of anyone who claims to know what Jesus "knows", and yet is unwilling to accept the testimony of the NT.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I'm always very suspicious of anyone who claims to know what Jesus "knows", and yet is unwilling to accept the testimony of the NT.
    How many times has the NT been translated, parts rewritten, words changed and added and deleted....
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 10:26 AM
    That's fine if you want to make that point, but it destroys your ability to use what would be, in your view, an unreliable NT to support your ideas. It's either reliable or it isn't. Make up your mind.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That's fine if you want to make that point, but it destroys your ability to use what would be, in your view, an unreliable NT to support your ideas. It's either reliable or it isn't. Make up your mind.
    All NTs fall into that category. Unfortunately, we don't have the complete original. And even then, you and I both know how unreliable notes and transcriptions and copies can be.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 11:02 AM
    OK. So you claim it is unreliable, which makes me wonder how you can claim to know what Jesus "knows", or why you bother to quote from the NT. That makes no sense. Or why didn't you object when DW used a direct quote from that thoroughly unreliable NT ("We love, because he first loved us.")? For that matter, why didn't you object when YOU quoted from the NT?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 11:49 AM
    I said a very similar quote, "love one another." Jesus was (and is still) all about loving ourselves just as He loves us -- so then we can love others. He's shown me throughout my life how true that is.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 12:24 PM
    Except that you have no way, in your approach, of being able to know that since you consider the accounts of his life and words to be unreliable. Thus we have no reliable way, in your view, of being able to say what, "Jesus was (and still is)". Well, unless we are to send people to you and consider you authoritative. Sorry, but that is not even close to being an option. So by your system, we are reduced to personal opinion, and therefore we have nothing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 12:44 PM
    Love one another.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 12:52 PM
    So by your system, we are reduced to personal opinion, and therefore we have nothing.
    Can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 01:28 PM
    "We love because He first loved us."

Unfortunately, some people are more difficult to love than others are. God, give us the strength to show love to everyone.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 01:46 PM
    Is that your opinion, or is it an authoritative statement from your utterly unreliable NT?

I have finally, after much effort, gotten you to the place where you have acknowledged that you do not receive the NT as the source of your "truth". It's a sad place for you to be, for you have no greater authority than your own ideas, but it is what it is. Jesus said whatever happens to agree with your own opinions which were birthed somewhere outside of the Bible. A day is coming when we will find out if the authors of the NT are correct, or if WG is correct. It will not be both.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 02:24 PM
    The NT authors didn't believe in loving one another?
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 02:42 PM
    According to you, we can’t know what they believed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 06:59 PM
    Which NT?
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2023, 10:12 PM
    Again, from your point of view it makes no difference. They are all produced from, according to you, an unreliable source.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2023, 10:25 PM
    From many, many sources, translations....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do Christians justify Hell? [ 21 Answers ]

I'm not trying to be offensive in my question. I've been trying to find faith after a stressful time in my life and I feel a slight pull towards Christianity. One thing I have trouble getting over in Christianity is the concept of Hell... How is it anyway justifiable? God gives small evidence of...

In hell. [ 4 Answers ]

I work for the VA. I work with an irritating individual. She quests for power and does everything to get it. I was detailed to another department which I loved. Now I am back And although I have spoken with her superiors, she is still quietly making my (our) Workplace a hostile one. For...

What the hell is going on? [ 14 Answers ]

OK so I met a girl just over a month ago, we went out 3 times, she is a year older than me, and we seemed to really get on and like each other. I accept she is rubbish at replying to text messages, and fb messages, But we went out on Monday, spent all day 2gther, she kept asking to come and see my...

View more questions Search