Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zwatcher Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2016, 05:52 PM
    How to end false creditor harassment
    Let me be clear, I have no outstanding debt in collections, I am not the person being sought for debt.
    But I am being hounded by collection agencies, creditors and assorted agencies.

I live in dayton, Ohio if that helps with local laws.
    A few years ago my apartment building had major structural issues that resulted in the building being condemned.
    I moved into 1/2 of a duplex and all was good. I transferred my utilities, cable, internet and phone to the new address.

However along with my transferred mail I found I was receiving notices from colleges, credit card companies, insurance companies and creditors all addressed to what I assume is a former tenant.

I marked them return to sender and thought they would end. I was wrong, they kept coming and coming and coming.
    Then it got strange, my time warner cable home phone began getting callers asking for the same name that was on the mail.

I explained I was a new tenant, had no idea who the person was or where they moved to and please remove my number from their calling list,
    At first they where polite and said they would update their lists but the calls kept coming and the creditor mail kept coming. It got to the point the only calls I was receiving were creditors looking for the former tenant. I got my number changed but they quickly found the new one. I disconnected the phone and tried to turn off the service but time warner claims they can't do that without breaking my bundle and I will have to pay more money for the same service -phone.

Then they somehow got my cell phone number too.

So I'm paying for a phone I can't plug in and have had to block all numbers not in my contact list and they still get through to my voicemail.

I'm at my wits end. Why are they harassing me how can I make them stop?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2016, 09:06 PM
    Have you checked your credit reports? Do you know who is making the calls? Have you talked to someone in the Ohio Attorney Generals office?

Nov 23, 2016, 09:40 PM
    My credit score is in the high 600's

It's multiple creditors and collection agency's

No, I had not thought of that, thanks I'll look into that
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2016, 11:23 PM
    I didn't ask what your credit score was, but whether your credit reports shows these items. But with no outstanding debt, a score in the low 600s is pretty low. So I suspect these items may be on your credit report and you need to dispute them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2016, 09:34 AM
    Write each one and tell them not to contact you again.

They should not be calling, unless there is some reason, or you are actually talking to them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2016, 10:10 AM
    You need to send a Cease and Desist letter to each of these creditors explaining that you, in no way, are related to the debtor. In this letter, you will also require them to repair your credit, if they did indeed attach this debt to your credit. Send this letter both by regular mail and Registered Mail Return Receipt Requested.

Dec 4, 2016, 08:19 PM
    HIGH 600's not low.

I do have balances on my credit cards but all are in good standing, paying down slowly but above minimum payments (I ran them up during an emergency move that required new everything)

None of my revolving credit debt is in collections

The debt collectors have latched onto me because I am the only contact at the last known residence of someone else who does have outstanding debts in collections.

The only reason is I had the bad luck to move into a house where a deadbeat who didn't pay their debts used to live. Now they won't listen to reason and continue hounding me because they can't find them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I switch ends on a fridgedair air conditioner from a 110 end to a 220 end [ 3 Answers ]

Can I switch the end on the power cord on my fridgedair air conditioner from a 220 to a 110... the head of the cord is screwed together not molded

Creditor Harassment [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is where this question would go but here goes. I have a David's Bridal credit card that I've been trying to pay off. I owe less than $400 on it. I currently do not have the money to make a payment and told them I would as soon as I could when they called. They are now...

With wood shakes on siding which end goes down the thick or the thin end? [ 4 Answers ]

Which end of wood shake siding goes down the thick end or the thin end?

Can I sue for defamation due to false accusations of sexual harassment [ 3 Answers ]

For starters, I have a co-worker who randomly hates me all of a sudden, and had a fellow co-worker lie to my boss and say that I was sexually harassing all of the "girls." This statement alone was a lie, come to find out, almost a month ago my boss called me into her office and asked me who have I...

View more questions Search