Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2016, 02:16 PM
    What does it mean to compound a loan?
    Now keep in mind I'm not talking about how compounding works in terms of a savings account, I'm talking about it within this context "Since we're making monthly loan payments, we're going to assume that we're going to compound interest at the end of each month". What is compounding and how does it work with a loan payment examples (NOT a savings account example)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2016, 03:08 PM
    Most US mortgages are amortization mortgages. In a compound mortgage, a portion of the unpaid interest is added to the next intetrest payment. I have never seen one in my years of buying and selling but I have heard or read that Canada uses a compounding scheme.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2016, 03:17 PM
    Compounding means that the interest for the period is added to the balance.

Aug 29, 2016, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Compounding means that the interest for the period is added to the balance.
    Could you please give me an example?

Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Most US mortgages are amortization mortgages. In a compound mortgage, a portion of the unpaid interest is added to the next intetrest payment. I have never seen one in my years of buying and selling but I have heard or read that Canada uses a compounding scheme.
    Could you please give me an example?

Aug 29, 2016, 04:28 PM
    You borrow 1000 at 5%. Lets say for example's sake that the first month you are charged .05%or $50. So now you owe $1050. Your payment is taken off the $1050.

Aug 29, 2016, 05:41 PM
    You borrow 1000 at 5%. Lets say for example's sake that the first month you are charged .05%or $50. So now you owe $1050. Your payment is taken off the $1050.
    Thanks!

Aug 30, 2016, 12:41 PM
    Sorry to reply again but I just want to know if this is correct for my notes:

So doing the math with the example you've provided (the loan is $1000, the APR is 5%, and the term I'm assuming is 30 years), the monthly payment is $5.00. So instead of the balance being just the principal ($1000), it's the monthly interest, 0.42% (5%/12) and the principal combined. So that would make the balance $1004.20 (4.2, which is .42% of 1000 plus 1000). So now the portion of the $5.00 monthly payment that's interest accounts for 0.42% of the (balance plus interest ($1004.20)). So that would make $4.22 out of the $5.00 go to pay off the interest and $0.78 to pay off the balance, which is now $1003.42 (1004.20 minus 0.78).

Thanks for explaining in advance

Aug 30, 2016, 01:41 PM
    By George I think he's got it.

Aug 30, 2016, 02:55 PM
    By George I think he's got it.
    Lol Thanks for helping! I hope you're not being sarcastic by the way
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 5, 2016, 04:46 AM
    Google 'amortization tables.' You will see many sites where you can plug in the numbers and get each month for the entire term.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Final loan payment left balance; what is my journal entry to zero out loan [ 1 Answers ]

I made the final payment on a loan. There is a .03 balance. How do I adjust for the .03 balance.

Is a wells fargo education loan a real school loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing bankruptcy due to hard finical times. When I was in school my grandparents co signed on a wells fargo educational loan for me. I don't want it to effect their credit. All school loans are not allowed in a bankruptcy. Is this one a "real" school loan I want to countinue making the...

Parents names are on a home loan, is there anyway to add a child onto the loan? [ 1 Answers ]

Situation-Child wanted to buy a home, couldn't qualify, Parents put loan in their names--child is living in the home with their family 100% of the time making all payments; parents have other primary residence. Current Events-one parent has died, value of the home is now 1/2 what is owed on the...

Auto loan converted to personal loan with same monthly installments (72 mo.) [ 1 Answers ]

Topic: None Chosen Your Question: "I have a auto loan converted to a signature loan due to the bank not receiving the car title, so they converted it to a persoanl loan. Once the bank did that my auto loan (secured loan) just became a personal loan (unsecured loan) but yet the months of...

View more questions Search