Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Feb 12, 2016, 12:15 PM
    House w/ White Cabinets
    I'm thinking of moving to a warmer state. I've been looking online at homes for sale. Some nice houses have white kitchen cabinets, I dislike white cabinets. Can the white be sanded off and stained? Or would it be easier, cheaper to replace them? Thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 12, 2016, 12:30 PM
    White cabinets give a kitchen a feeling of spaciousness, clean lines, a less closed-in feeling. If I bought a house with white kitchen cabinets, I'd live with that for a few months before changing them, since I would want to also consider how the floor color, wall treatment, countertop style/material, and the color of the appliances all work together with the cabinets.

Repainting them would be my first thought.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 12, 2016, 12:54 PM
    If the cabinet material can be painted , then I'd definitely remove and send the doors off to a paint shop. Lots of people would do it themselves, but it's hard to get a good DIY job compared to being professionally sprayed.

If they can't be painted, then you can replace the old doors with new doors, leaving the cabinets as they are.

Either way, there is a solution that is cheaper than redoing the whole kitchen cabinets
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2016, 02:38 PM
    Most white cabinets painted white are not made of high quality wood if they are even made of wood at all. You could clean, etch and paint them another color. Not likely going to be able to stain them though
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2016, 02:54 PM
    Buying a home should never be about the kitchen cabinets. It should be about location, quiet streets, dry basements, good foundation, plumbing, heating, wiring, roof, and windows. Things that are IMPORTANT and EXPENSIVE.

I agree with Wondergirl about living in a home for a while before even starting on a list.
    I have a preference for plain maple with a clear finish, but if a kitchen doesn't get much light, I would want white.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2016, 03:01 PM
    Most builders grade white cabinets are thermofoil or vinyl overlay. Thermofoil is really hard to work with, paint doesn't stick too well and you can't stain it. If you are happy with the layout, the least expensive upgrade is to get new fronts, there are hundreds of online sources, have a local shop make fronts or have a refacing company do the work for you. Edge band the cases with the same wood. Some of the newer iron on facing is really good, I blended an oak front at my sons house and it was easy and stained to the same color as the front which he bought online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have white little bugs in my house and they seem to be everywhere [ 1 Answers ]

There are some bugs in my house but they are really small. They seem to be everywhere but there really small and I have seen them everywhere in my apartment. Their sometimes in my books or bookcase and sometimes in the mirrors or picture frames. I want to get rid of them but I don't think that...

What are the little white bugs in my house? [ 0 Answers ]

First I noticed fruit flies in my house and got rid of those. I couldn't find the source excpet one peach got rid of that right away. Then over the last week I've noticed that I have black flies in my house coming from the basement. Killed a few noticed more, so went into basement and thought maybe...

My house has a black, red and white wire for my ceiling fan. The house also has a gr [ 3 Answers ]

My home is pre-wired for ceiling fans with lights. My fan has a Black, Green and White wire. The house has a Black, Red & White plus a ground wire. How do I make this work?

Price range selling an authentic piece (white brick) White House 1950 w/placque? [ 0 Answers ]

2 were sold on ebay 2007-2008 but don't have access to $ they [email protected]

With this woman running the House, do you really want a Dem in the White House? [ 9 Answers ]

This woman is frightening. She quotes... ' We need to work toward the goal of equalizing income, (didn't Marx say something like this), in our country and at the same time limiting the amount the rich can invest.' ( I am not rich, are you?) When asked how these new tax dollars would be...

View more questions Search