Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Is this medication safe in pregnancy?
    I have been suffering with some congestion/allergy sinus crap lately, and my hubby picked me up this new medicine that helps with all of the above. I don't know much about the ingredients and wanted to make sure that it was safe in case we are pregnant. We have been trying, and I'm in a waiting zone right now. J_9 or Buggage, do you know anything about it? If anyone else knows, that's great too.

It is called Tussin CF with active ingredients of Guaifenesin 100mg, Dextromethorphan HBr 10mg and Phenylephrine HCI 5mg. I am miserable here and would like some relief, but I'm very cautious over medicine. My doctor is closed today, so I was hoping to try and find an answer before Monday... and avoid the misery through the weekend :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 06:00 AM
    It is a pregnancy category C, which means that while it does not cause birth defects, it should be avoided if possible. Doctors can and do prescribe this, but only if the symptoms are unbarable.

Also know that this does contain alcohol. So it is like drinking alcohol while pregnant. It is better used in the third trimester of pregnancy rather than in the first or second trimesters.

I got this information from my 2007 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 06:01 AM
    OK thanks. I will just have to find something else I suppose, at least until I can get to the doctor..

BTW, your dog looks almost identical to mine... foxhound? Or beagle?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Bassett Hound.

You could try calling your pharmacy and seeing what they recommend until you can get into the doctor's. They may tell you that you need to wait to speak with your doc, but it is worth a try.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Well I was way off on that one, mine's a foxhound but he has similar markings..

Ok I will try that, but I think you are right on just having to wait. Thanks for your help anyway.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
    I can tell you what my doctors told me to take when I had those same things. Congestion/sinus problems, lots of coughing and such. They said that Benedryl (I took the children's benedryl) and Tussin DM was safe to take and they have the same ingredients in them as the cf MINUS the Phenylephrine HCI 5mg. Now, note that I was in the beginning of my third trimester at this point. Since you are still in your first trimester, I don't know if it would still be acceptable. You can call your doctors office and talk to a nurse there, or your doctor, and ask them if it is safe. Either way, here are some other suggestions that will help. Use a cold mist humidifier, saline drops for your nose, and vicks(I used my sons vicks. I like to use the children's amounts when I am pregnant, puts my mind more at ease) eat lots of soup, take lots of warm showers(the mist helps there too, and helps to ease those aching muscles to boot.) Ludens cough drops are also great to take. I hope that this helped. And I hope you get better soon. I know how miserable it is being sick while pregnant, and not being able to take much to sooth your symptoms. Hang in there
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will try them. I would love to call my doctor, but they are closed on fridays, and I was just trying to get through the weekend until I could call them on Monday. Not pregnant yet, at least not documented yetim waiting on my flow now, but we are Trying to conceive. I am very leary of medications since my miscarriage last year... it wasn't related to medications, I was in an auto accident, but I don't want to go through another one.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Oh! Sorry, I am pretty much pregnancy induced brain dead this morning ( lack of sleep etc) ;0)
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I completely understand. How is it going BTW, you still feeling back labor?
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Yes, still feeling the cramping in the back and other discomforts... I don't think it will be much longer... maybe a week? But I have been wrong before. Hah
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I went through the worst congestion during my pregnancy then I ever had in my life and was absolutely miserable. I called the pharmacist and he suggested Mucinex and it absolutely worked. I don't remember how far along I was though. Maybe call different pharmacies and get different opinions-mention Mucinex. Maybe J9 can give you the category for it. I swear by Mucinex now!! :)
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 14, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Also, the pharmacist suggested this and I have done this before-1/2 teaspoon salt in 8oz of warm water and sniff it. Sniff the entire 8oz a little bit at a time and you will start to feel it in your throat. Spit it out. It might make you gag a little but it really helps.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Great thanks! I called my doctor and she told me many of the things that buggage suggested. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Glad to be of help. Hope you feel well soon
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Oh, Im twenty times better now...
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Glad to hear it! Its always so crappy when you are sick.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Yep it does stink... I hope your feeling better... getting down to the wire huh?
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Thank you. Yes it is getting close. Go in for a doc appointment today, and hoping he'll say I'm dilating to a 3 haha.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Qd All medication [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about the medication QD All?

How to get off medication [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out how to taper off Wellbutrin medication.

Medication [ 3 Answers ]

Information about QD ALL which was prescribed for allergies.:D

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

What is chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering , according to Michigan law, can an intern prescribe meds?

View more questions Search