How do I book restricted income?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2015, 04:51 AM
    This is a very vague question be more explicit
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Jul 25, 2015, 11:20 AM
    That sounds like an unusual thing to do but you should be able to accomplish it by creating a new account in your chart of accounts called "restricted income" and then use the account when entering your transactions. You can link your income items to the restricted income account or make adjusting entries at the close of each accounting period.
    EAS5500 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2015, 04:04 PM
    If I debit cash and credit Income (my Income St) and then want to move it to Balance Sheet to restricted income (for later use), what account do I then Debit?
    Or if I originally debit cash and credit Balance sheet income restricted income account, how does it ever hit my Income Statement?
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Jul 26, 2015, 05:39 PM
    Your use of the term "restricted income" is the thing that is causing some confusion. Cash is a balance sheet account; it's an asset. The account you affect when you debit cash while crediting income is generally your bank account. So it's already there on your balance sheet. If you then want to move, or set aside, some cash for later use, you would be debiting one asset account and crediting another.

Or put another way, income accounts aren't balance sheet accounts. So if you debit cash and credit an income account (regardless of what it's called), it IS hitting your income statement, not your balance sheet.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2015, 05:24 AM
    Either income is earned or it is not, if this is something that has a future maturity it doesn't belong in income, perhaps it is an intangiable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restricted use of property [ 5 Answers ]

I have a vacation home in California where I own the cabin and 1/44 of the corporation that owns the land. It is a gated community, and the by-laws of the association state that there can be only 5 full-time residents and the rest of us can use our property less than 5 months of the year. The Board...

Identifying a children's book about lake monsters (picture book not chapter book) [ 2 Answers ]

I was hoping someone could help me identify the title or author of a picture book I used to read as a child. I've seen that other users have had success with similar questions but unfortunately I just remember the basic premise of this book. Any help or tips would be great! The book I'm looking...

What percentage of book royalty income can be garnished? [ 3 Answers ]

I am retired living on Social Security. I am an author. What percentage of my book royalties income can be garnished?

Restricted Visitation [ 10 Answers ]

My fiance's crazy baby momma is trying to take all of his visitation away because she is jealous about us and our relationship. Now, many years back, I had a criminal charge from working at a bank. I was never convicted, but I did have to do a year or so on probation. I had withheld ajudication and...

Restricted calling [ 3 Answers ]

If someone calls me restricted on my cell can I get the number by calling the phone company?

View more questions Search