Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCTOFL Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2014, 06:51 PM
    Health Hazzards
    We are relocating to another state. While we are getting established we are staying at a Extended stay hotel. I noticed when we started staying here that I developed some respiratory conditions.
    The first morning My eyes were blazing red and burning. From there it went to sore burning throat, ears, chest. It became so severe I went to ER.
    I was told that I was just really dried out... I did not think that was the problem but bought nasal and eye moisturizers and increased my water intake.
    When I got back to my room I decided to check filter on ac unit.
    It was thick with a white dust, I cleaned it.
    The next day I requested room service.
    I went to work and when I returned my whole room was covered in a white powdery dust, so thick when we walked it left foot prints. My dinning table kitchen and bathroom counters were even coated. Everything in the room had it on it.
    I called down to front desk and they came to my room and started vacuuming and sweeping. I could not get a straight answer as to what it was except it was a special cleaning product for pets.
    We left again while they cleaned.
    When we returned the floors were better but the dust in room was the same.
    The night clerk was in and I spoke to him and was told it was flea powder!!
    The owner went into every room that had pets and personally put it in the rooms.
    First of all does he have a right to come in my room? Most important can he put a toxic chemical in a room where people are staying and not even inform them??
    Thanks for any answers
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 09:48 PM
    Yes, they can come into "their" rooms, and do pest control.

The smoking, the bugs are common issues at those types of places.
    NCTOFL Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Yes I can understand that. Shouldn't they have to inform me ?
    I took my dogs prescription meds. To owner this morning . To show him this is not needed. I am once again burning in my eyes throat and chest. I do believe I am allergic.
    He denied it. Told me they don't put anything in the rooms. When several Staff members all said that he personally did it. When I told him yes they did and that it is still all over my room he just kept repeating he would have my room cleaned today. I have already had 1 trip to ER last week not knowing what the problem was. I will probably return today because I am on fire in my nose, ears, throat, chest and eyes.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2014, 05:30 AM
    Exactly what is it you want them to do? After you have raised the issues with management, and they have cleaned the room, and agreed to not use the flea powder while you are there, what do you want them to do about your allergies?

See a doctor for proper treatment of your allergies, it may require more than just over the counter meds, and I am sure an agreement about the flea powder and even not entering your room while you are gone can be reached. I feel you with the allergies, it happens to many of us moving from state to state, and can also take a while, years even to get acclimated, or know what to do about it. Its almost standard procedure though for extended stay, or any hotel/motel to clean rooms and exterminate pests. How would they know your dog doesn't have fleas? Now they do, so you work with the management, or move to another place and start the process all over again.

Good luck with those allergies.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2014, 05:55 AM
    Sorry, its still a Hotel... they can come into there anytime they want. They only way you can keep them out is when you are in it and have the security latch engaged.

This is NOT a leased appartment or house and doesn't fall under the same rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? And how is is related

I have some health questions how can I ask it to the health experts [ 3 Answers ]

I have heaalth problem from last 6 months , My age is 35 and I am a female and I have leg pain and my eyes burning my ESR-61,Montex-18x18, my chest x-ray,calcium,d3,b12,spine x-ray, and all blood rests shows negative. Results please help that what the problem is

Are games good to health or bad for health [ 12 Answers ]

I always play games but my family says it bad for me but I ignore them

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

View more questions Search