Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swanco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Gfci wiring and bathroom switch controlling the power on and off to gfci plug.
    I got a concern caused by my brother in law, I have had to perform a bathroom reno and needed to upgrade the wall switches and install a gfci plug, well all wiring was OK till after the drywall went up and now, no power to vanity light(power is on wire as it goes through attic, nothing comes up at end with voltage tester) and the bathroom fan switch turns on and off the fan OK, no issues there. The other switch that supposed to operate the vanity light controls power to the gfci plug, turn it on and you get power to it, turn it off and no power to the gfci receptical. Thought that plug was to be separate of the main light switches.
    Looks simple enough to put in, with the line and load ends marked, he actually had it where the bathroom switch would turn on
    And off the next bedroom lights... did fix that. Am pissed off over what he did, tried to figure it out but no luck, and yes this guy started a contracting biz, not impressed with the tiling and blowing me off after 7 months, will not come and finish what he started. Last time I get family involved. May have to call a electrician to fix this.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2010, 02:47 AM

Would suggest u get a licensed electrician to come in and check all work he has done. Electric, if done wrong, has high potential to cause a fire. Don't take this chance.

Good luck

Chuck
    icopus Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2014, 08:10 AM
    Thank you very much for your reply. And I appreciate your concern.
    Both the old and the new box are very clearly labeled and I read the instructions that came with the new GFCI. I know exactly how to wire the new box. And yes, I will most definitely cut power to the circuit before I begin. Lol.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 22, 2014, 12:35 PM
    Okay, then if you know exactly what you are doing, then you tell us why it is not working, please.

Just curious, what is the amperage off the branch circuit that feeds this's bathroom? Why, pray tell, did you make the bathroom receptacle switch controlled?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do wire up a bathroom fan through a GFCI plug to a fan timer switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a Broan model# QTRE070C ceiling fan in my bathroom. I'd like to wire the fan through the GFCI plug to fan timer switch. The fan isn't going to be directly over the tub/shower enclosure but in the center of the bathroom ceiling. If it's not directly over the tub/shower will I still...

GFCI - Bathroom outlets don't have power! [ 7 Answers ]

I have a new house. I have two outlets in my master bath. The outlets do not have "reset/test" switches on the outlets themselves. However, there is a separate plate in the master bath that is labeled GFCI with a "reset/test" switch only and no outlet. We plugged a small space heater into one...

GE Refrigerator keeps tripping the GFCI switch when plug in. [ 2 Answers ]

I cleaned my refrigerator and shortly afterwards it trips the GFCI outlet every time its plugged in. Did I blow a fuse inside the refrigerator or short circuit something out. If there is a fuse where is it usually located. Thanks for any help!

Replace 2-plug GFGI with a 4-plug GFCI? [ 7 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and my wife wants a 4 plug outlet. She currently uses one for the hair dryer and one to charge her electric toothbrush. The intent is to add a lighted mirror or something else that uses little power. Would it be OK to replace the GFCI with a 4 plug GFCI? I suspect...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

View more questions Search