Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Clear criminal record
    In 1987 (26 years ago) I was convicted of a drug related felony. I completed my probation, paid my fines, and eventually went to court and had it expunged. Here is my problem. I have decided to go to nursing school. My admissions counselor asked if there would be any problems when they did a background check. I told her that I had a charge 25 years ago, and that it had been expunged. She told me that it would still show up, and depending on the circumstances, it is possible that the nursing board could deny me a license. Unfortunately, they don't do a background check until AFTER you have completed the course, and apply for your license. So before I take out a small fortune in student loans, and waste my time on an education that I can't use, can someone tell me if there is a way to completely remove the charge from my record? I am in California
    Basic_Legal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 01:44 AM
    The problem with enhanced criminal records checks is that ALL information will show up as they are never completely "wiped out". That said, the fact that you were able to have it expunged indicates that it was in the category of an offence that could be expunged - not all offences can be.
    I advise you to go the court that you were convicted in and ask for it to be sealed as this means only law enforcement officials can see it - this varies from state to state so I cannot be specific here. I am assuming you were convicted of a). Possession of marijuana or b). Possession of a controlled substance. If it is one of the above, you have a probable chance of it being sealed so no member of the public can see it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 02:44 AM
    No, there is no way to wipe it out where it does not exist. Even sealed or expunged records will be viable to law enforcement, for national security. And depending on state, for state license.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2014, 08:20 AM
    Hello:

Speaking as a felon AND a patient, I wouldn't want ANYONE who's been convicted of a felony to be granted a medical license..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fingerprinted, arrested record in Canada, no criminal record [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was recently charged for theft under, first time offense, and court date is at the end of Oct. I have to cross US border everyday for a full time job. I am getting a diversion and my lawyer said the charge will be withdrawn if I satisfy the requirements. Today, CBP...

How long does it take for DISA to clear your record? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take for DISA to clear your record?

Can I remove njp from my civilian criminal record record? [ 0 Answers ]

On 01 AUG 2005, I was discharged under OTHER THAN Honorable conditions and an RE-Code 4. From 2006-07, my two requests (military file AND personal appearance) for a discharge upgrade to an Honorable from the Army Discharge Review Board Agency were denied. Then, the Army BCMR, also, denied my...

View more questions Search