Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loga1988 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 02:59 AM
    French immatriculation and Armistice day
    Hi All,

Myself and my father are trying for french nationality through my grandfather . I have few queries to clarify

1) My grandfather worked for french army in second world war .I came to know through my father that my grandfather did immatriculation (as per our guess it is like residential permit ) what is that one ? We lost our grandfather's immatriculation document where and how can we get it back ? How will it be useful to get nationality ? Please clarify

2) My grandfather got Rs 50 for each of his children during french government rule in pondicherry in every 11th November (Armistice day ) . Does everyone eligible for that or only people who are having nationality are eligible for it ? Please clarify

Both are very important queries in front of us . Please clarify ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2013, 04:40 AM
    You really should be dealing DIRECTLY with the French Embassy of the country you live in for this.

MOST European nations have severely restricted their immigrations policies in recent years doue to abuse and you can not assume that because there was once an option open to you that they are currently allowing it.

I've seen 4 major revisions in the last 20 years alone in one European country alone.

Aug 27, 2013, 05:22 AM
    Hi Smoothy,

I have asked my local french embassy .They said that they don't have any records based on that .I doubted somewhere some evidence should be there but I don't know where will it be ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2013, 05:30 AM
    I'd be surprised if they are still honoring any programs this old. Most European countries have stopped them years ago... and most are limited to your Parents (meaning a single generation) and in many cases only if you can show a proficiency in the language as well.

And as you are discovering... even those that are still in effect... the burden is on you to find and provide the documentation.

If they have no records on that program... that in my mind indicates its not a program that is being honored any longer. People that work in the Embassies are going to have their hands full with stuff that is current and in use rather than old discontinued programs. Many of which might have ended years or even decades ago.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Permanent residency rules have changed since your grandfather's time and the terminology you are using as 'ammitriculation' is redundant.

You may never be able to become a French citizen and permanent residency status is limited as in many EU countries at the present time. Also, any allowance your grandfather received at that time would not be applicable today.

If you want to pursue residency in France you would have to contact the French consulate and go through proper channels as they appear today. If you have misplaced paper work from that era, I would doubt very much that it would be available today.

Aug 28, 2013, 12:36 AM
    Hi tickle,

Some french people in pondicherry are still getting these benefits but I am not sure about immatriculation when I enquired with my lawyer he told that it is a valuable document and he asked us to collect it if possible
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 02:47 AM
    So you are asking this from India? We can't clarify this issue for you. We would not have access to any records that would help you. And I guess as your lawyer told you, you would have to find this paperwork. You already ran up to a dead end when you inquired at the French embassy.

So it is not French nationality you want, but this stipend that was given to your grandfather?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renewal of french immatriculation card [ 0 Answers ]

Could you please let me know what is required to re new the above document

French film with an American male and French female in a musuem [ 0 Answers ]

There is a french film I saw last year in an arts movie theater depicting an American man and a French woman, supposedly married, but we're never sure, not even at the end. They go to a museum in France and discuss whether the "Mona Lisa" is merely an imitation, or the real thing. This is the...

French film with an American male and French female in a musuem [ 0 Answers ]

There is a french film I saw last year in an arts movie theater depicting an American man and a French woman, supposedly married, but we're never sure, not even at the end. They go to a museum in France and discuss whether the "Mona Lisa" is merely an imitation, or the real thing. This is the...

Have a wonderful day in french [ 3 Answers ]

Have a wonderful day!

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

View more questions Search