Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Center of Gravity
    A man is doing push-ups. He has a mass of 68 kg and his center of gravity is located at a horizontal distance of 0.70 m from his palms and 1.00 m from his feet. Find the forces exerted by the floor on his palms and feet.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
    These sites may help you to solve the problem by applying the correct foumula:

Center of mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center of Gravity
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Sorry clough! THis question isn't really about center of gravity :)

The man is acting like a bar pivoting about his feet.

You need to use:

sum of clockwise moments = sum of anticlockwise moments.

and :

moment = force * perpendicular distance.

Also you need:

Total upward force = total downward force.

Without more information you can only work out the answer for when he is not moving. (ie when he is at the top or the bottom of the push-up)

That should do it easily, good luck!
    vrooje Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Capuchin, are you saying you can't just use the center of gravity to calculate the effective mass at his hands and feet, and then use Newton's third law? It seems like you should get the same answer... though granted I haven't worked through it both ways, nor have I done a problem like this in a while.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I guess that should work too. I just always liked moments, something elegant about it :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics-solving center of gravity problems [ 10 Answers ]

I am doing extra work in my college physics course to try to get in a groove with parallel forces and center of gravity problems. I am stuck. I have navigated my online membership course, RapidMastery for Physics, and I'm still stuck. Any helpful explanations would be appreciated. The problem is...

Gravity [ 5 Answers ]

If 2 objects of different weight are thrown from equal height , which will reach the earth first, the heavier object or the lighter object, or both will reach at same time. :)

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

If a person were weighed at the North Pole, would he weigh more than if he were weighed at the equator? How about if he were on an elevator to the center of the Earth, would he weigh more or less as he descended? Just curious. Hank

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

How does the spinning of a planit affect its gravity.

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

At a certain point between the earth and the moon, the gravitational attraction towards the earth is exactly balanced by the gravitational attraction towards the moon. If a spacecraft is at that certain point, what is its distance from the center of the earth?

View more questions Search