Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Add spicket in garage in cold weather climate
    I plan to add a spicket in our garage and use it, mainly, for washing our cars. It will be plumbed to soft-water. We live in a cold weather climate but the wall I intend to install it on is an interior wall (between the garage and the house... the garage is attached to the house).

I know I can get a frost-free (or something like that... the name escapes me right now) spicket that has a larger diameter tube from 8" to 12" long and is supposed to help prevent freezing. I'm wondering if that is necessary in this case since the spicket is not outdoors nor on an exterior wall. Is this the best idea or are their good alternatives?

I plan to tap into my existing copper pipe and use PEX tubing. I'm a little hesitant to do this as I've only every used copper before and the PEX stuff makes me a bit nervous. Any thoughts on that?

Other thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 07:06 AM
    You should definitely use a frost free hose bibb with a vacuum breaker in your climate.

The bibb should also grade downwards slightly so that the water in the chamber drains out the hose connection when shut-off.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 07:17 AM
    A frost busted faucet is a big problem when it thaws out. The frost proof ones can't be that much extra. They work by having a long stem reaching from the outside handle to a seat inside. When shut off at the seat inside, all the water past the seat runs out and can't cause a frost problem. This leaves all the water filled plumbing inside the house. Even if you fail to pitch it so it drains, or leave a hose attached, and it freezes, it still doesn't leak until you turn it on. No mid night floods, or more likely while you are away at work.

With all the water filled piping inside the house, no reason to use the DIY unfriendly PEX. PEX can be a good choice if whoever is installing it already owns a crimper and is proficient using it. If you only plan occasional, small jobs, I would forget it.

If you have a torch and successful experience using it, copper might be a good choice making a small addition to existing copper. PVC or CPVC might be your best choice. Clean it up good, and use the required primer, and it is difficult to mess up. If you don't want to do any sweat soldering, there is the Shark's Tooth fitting. You can leave the water on and run your whole new line using plastic. When it is all done except connecting to the copper, you can shut the water off for 5 minutes, cut a little piece out of the copper line, slip the 3 pipes into a Shark's Tooth tee, and turn the water back on. Expect to pay most of $10 and I haven't seen them anywhere except Ace Hardware and my local plumbing supply. No I don't work for Ace Hardware. 3/4'' PVC will not fit a 3/4'' Shark's Tooth. For a short run, CPVC won't be that much more expensive. For a longer run, check Lowe's for a PVC to CPVC adapter. With another Shark's Tooth fitting at the faucet end, you could use PEX without a crimper. With the Shark's Tooth, you can connect anything with the same OD as the copper. Expensive, but an easy, reliable connection.

Mar 9, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I had planned to use the PEX tubing with those "sharkbite" push-fit connectors. The ones I have seen online appear to be made of metal while the ones the local hardware store sells are plastic (though the interior components are certainly metal). I was a little fearful of the reliability of those but it sounds like the push-fit connectors are reliable, correct?

I'll just get the frostproof spicket as it is only about $15. As mentioned, not a place to try to save a few bucks ;-)

Thanks again!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I saw those plastic fittings in the PEX area at Lowe's. Having had problems with the old Quest fittings and poly butylene, I didn't want to risk them. They were fairly high too. When the counterman at the plumbing supply enthusiastically recommended the brass Shark's Tooth tee last summer, I tried it and so far so good. Even easier than PVC.

Post back with how your project goes.

Mar 30, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Sorry it took so long to get back. I was able to install this as directed above and it worked perferctly. I used the plastic fittings (like those at Lowe's) as those where the only ones I could find. Thanks for the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

Can't get the key out in cold weather - 95 Accord [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX (84K miles). I have a peculiar problem in very cold weather: I can't get the key out of the ignition when I the car in Park. :mad: None of the gear lights glow up even though the gear is clearly in Park position. If I wait just a minute or two (sometimes...

Starter noise in cold weather [ 1 Answers ]

I would appreciate any feed back on the cause and cure of cold weather starter noise on my 1996 Maxima v6. It makes a funny sound initially ( as if it temporarily hangs and then is released) and then stops normally. Once the engine gets warm, it does not make the noise on successive starts. Never...

Sewerage smell when out side weather is cold [ 1 Answers ]

My bath room smell when out side tempture below 40F, like fall and winter, it is the sewer smell. When the weather is wormer the smell stopped I like to know why and how to solve the problem.

View more questions Search