Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 08:11 PM
    Mold, mildew & mushroom sprout...
    Hello all, I recently noticed brownish black mold growing in my bathroom where the bathtub meets the wall. I cleaned the area once with tilex and its grown back with a small mushroom added in for good measure. The ironic thing is this bathroom is never used so I'm thinking there's something leaking behind that wall. Any ideas what I can do short of ripping the wall down? The wall itself is tile and mirror covered. Also I'm in a condo and the bathroom is on the second floor with roof above that (flat I think, never been up there).

Thanks much in advance for advice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2013, 12:38 PM
    I don't know what else you can do to solve the problem, it doesn't sound very healthy or hygienic, other then getting a look at what is behind that wall. Mould and mildew are one thing, but then having mushrooms growing is really disgusting and too organic for my liking.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Is the wall "soft"? If your grout and caulking is compromised the water can be coming from your own shower.

How often does this get cleaned? And you certainly do need to use a cleaning product with bleach in it to kill the mold and mildew.
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Hi, the wall isn't soft but its hard to tell because its tile. The shower/tub is never used (guest bathroom and I have no guests ;) Here are a couple of pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oukrjv7qpgqm6vy/mold1.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pthc8o2w6vsh8w/mold2.JPG

The black thing on the floor is the mushroom head that I knocked off the wall last night. Last time I cleaned it was probably 2 weeks ago (and now).
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Yes, I agree with smoothy about the bleach, but that isn't going to kill the mushroom growth. You still have to see what is behind the wall. Sorry, I am not an expert on this, but know this and that, and if it were me, I would be behind the wall now. As a woman who lives by good hygiene, as many of us should nowawadays, my first priority would be seeing behind the wall... maybe we can all write a book... called...
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
    That's actually on the outside of the tub between the tub and floor.

I see a HUGE void in the caulking between the tub and the floor... was the other caulking any better.

I'm also wondering if the wrong type of caulking was used for what's there...

2 weeks is actually a very long time between cleaning when you have mildew present. When there is you need to hit it as soon as it presents itself... even if that's every day or two.

Does your bathroom vent to the outdoors? It looks like an older Condo when it wasn't very common to do so... meaning you can have very high humidity for extended periods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Humidifiers Cause Mold & Mildew In... [ 2 Answers ]

Furnaces & duct work? Guys, wife wants a humidifier with the new furnace and Ac system putting in for it gets somewhat dry in the house during the Winter months. I'm worried about mold and mildew build up with the humidifier putting moisture through the ducts and in the furnace & psooibly...

Previous mold and mildew [ 1 Answers ]

Let me give just a little back story before I ask my question. I moved into an apartment recently... sept 12. These are rent controlled apartments. You can only make a certain income to live here. When we moved in we say that there was mold almost covering the wall in the closet with the hot...

Mold and mildew [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out not ot long ago that I have mold and mildew in my apartment. Since we have lived here, my 11 year old daughter has had symptoms of mold allergies. We need to move out and my landlord wants me to pay rent until we move, but I cannot afford to do this. The apartments are not in...

Mold & mildew [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with plumbing that is 4 years old - I had mold & mildew smell in my bathrooom. I finally had the plumber in that did the bathroom. The mold was in the overflow drain. I cleaned it with bleach and the odor went away, but I now smell it again. The plumber said that by using the...

View more questions Search