Ask
    Gram72 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Identifying true rhinestone?
    Does anyone know how to tell real rhinestone jewelry from faux ? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 17, 2013, 07:28 AM
    The word 'rhinestone' itself is a description for faux jewellery. Gem stones are all different colours and textures, such as amethyst, opal, garnet, etc, and are mined in all different parts of the world. Good faux gems are made of rock crystal and coloured to match whatever they want to call it.

The naked eye could not detect a good faux from a real gemstone, so there is no other way then a jeweller identifying it for you, but a faux would not be set in gold or silver, there is just no point in doing that.
    Gram72 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    the word 'rhinestone' itself is a description for faux jewellery. Gem stones are all different colours and textures, such as amethyst, opal, garnet, etc, and are mined in all different parts of the world. Good faux gems are made out of rock crystal and coloured to match whatever they want to call it.

The naked eye could not detect a good faux from a real gemstone, so there is no other way then a jeweller identifying it for you, but a faux would not be set in gold or silver, there is just no point in doing that.
    Thanks so much for you information... truly appreciated. Diz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delicate rhinestone necklace with unknown hallmark [ 0 Answers ]

The hallmark is approx. 1/2" long, 1/4" wide with an elongated T or cross. Attached is a very small charm in a buoy shape, wider at the bottom then top. Who made it?? /

Identifying artists [ 1 Answers ]

I have a portrait signed M A H Smith. The artist was active in Atlanta from 1890-1930. I want to flush out her bio.

I'd like opinions on how much this article is true or think its true [ 8 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a man today? How can men consciously express their masculinity without becoming cold or closed-hearted on the one hand… or wimpy and emasculated on the other? What’s the most loving way for a conscious man to express himself? Here are 10 ways to live more consciously as a...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

View more questions Search