Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stwart2013 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Should I stop seeing my dad
    I'm not comfortable with my dad coming down to see me & I haven't been for along time. That's why I've always seemed a bit unhappy when I'm around him. I can't see it working out between us & I'm trying to accept the fact that he's OK with me being gay but all I think about is him being angry in the background. I'm just so distressed and I don't want to be around him. I'm not saying I don't want to see him ever again but just keep in contact on a phone basis.. What would be the best way to handle this?
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Mar 5, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Don't loose the most precious relations in your life. If he is angry with you today, he will understand tomorrow. If you don't want to meet him, that's OK but don't break all the relations. Try to talk on phone on regular basis and try to see him once in a month. If he wants to see you with his own wish, then don't stop him. He might need you or worry about you. Soon things will be good.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
    "I'm trying to accept the fact that he's ok with me being gay but all I think about is him being angry in the background."

That sounds like it is more your issue than it is his. If your dad accepts you, why can't you accept you? As someone who has recently lost both parents, I would suggest you keep him in your life. You may need him one day.

And work on not obsessing on every single thing. Start enjoying life. Smile and have fun.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Mar 21, 2013, 06:46 AM
    Thanks chiragm984, I know how important a father in one's life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
    I don't think the relationship with a person's father is the most important relationship in a person's life.

At some point adults have to become their own people - if parents disapprove, well, then it's time to distance yourself.

I assume the OP will always be gay, and the father needs to accept that. The father is the one with the problem, not the son.

EDIT: I totally misread the question - FrChuck is right. The father appears to have come to terms with the son's sexuality, but the son still does not want personal contact. Old wounds? Something else?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 07:04 AM
    Why do you think he is angry? What is he doing to make you believe this?

If he is trying to accept it, why to you now judge him?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop my daughters dad taking her [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My daughter has a daughter who is 21 months old, she knows who the father is and his name is on the birth certificate, he has seen her once in her little life andhas paid nothing for her at all. She has just recently applied to the csa as she knows he has a job, my worry is he is a phillapino...

How do I help my dad stop child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 21 years old and I just met my dad 7 months ago. I got a call this morning from my step mother saying that they just took my dad to jail for non support. He hasn't paid for years, but my mother said she didn't want any money back she just wanted my dad in my life and I just want my dad I don't...

Can a mother stop a dad getting guardianship? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is 5 she was going with her dad but now for the past 4 months she won't go I made her go for few hours on a sat but wouldn't leave her home when I asked so I stopped access because I couldn't trust him to take her and leave her back he pays 20 euro a week now he wants guardianship...

Can I stop my child from seeing their dad [ 5 Answers ]

Can I put a stop to my child visiting her dad because of his new wife who my child doesn't get on with? Who is making her life hell.

View more questions Search